ppO2 for nitrox, why so low?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fair enough. You used the word heliox and that threw me off a bit. So, as a Respiratory Therapist, we have learned that N2 is an inert gas but it does have a purpose. It pretty much stents open the alveoli and adds in proper gas exchange.

Fair enough. You used the word heliox and that threw me off a bit. So, as a Respiratory Therapist, we have learned that N2 is an inert gas but it does have a purpose. It pretty much stents open the alveoli and adds in proper gas exchange.
As a Respiratory Therapist, I assume you are not that familiar with the properties of N2 under pressure, i.e. that is has strong narcotic properties, especially at PPN2 of 4 atm and greater (i.e. beyond 40m depth for air). It is those narcotic properties about which I have heard the hypothesis that it may dampen the tendency for oxygen toxicity, thus allowing for the extreme-depth air dives mentioned earlier.

As a Respiratory Therapist, I assume you are not that familiar with the properties of N2 under pressure, i.e. that is has strong narcotic properties, especially at PPN2 of 4 atm and greater (i.e. beyond 40m depth for air). It is those narcotic properties about which I have heard the hypothesis that it may dampen the tendency for oxygen toxicity, thus allowing for the extreme-depth air dives mentioned earlier.

You are joking right? I have probably forgotten more about Respiratory than you will ever know. So to put it out there, a RRT , Tech. DM, rebreather, trimix, full cave etc.

So sad that we can’t discuss openly about dive related issues without someone saying that we don’t know anything about the subject.

So sad that we can’t discuss openly about dive related issues without someone saying that we don’t know anything about the subject.
You just said that though...

“I have probably forgotten more about respiratory than you will ever know”

You just said that though...

“I have probably forgotten more about respiratory than you will ever know”

Yea, maybe a little out of line but when you are questioned about your knowledge, it kinda hits home especially when it is your profession. I’ll let it go, will not post again on this thread. So sad that those of us who are professionals in the field of respiratory and professional divers are questioned. I’m out have fun.
OBTW, I have valued your view points over the years PfcAJ. and will continue to do.

You are joking right? I have probably forgotten more about Respiratory than you will ever know. So to put it out there, a RRT , Tech. DM, rebreather, trimix, full cave etc.
I think you missed my point. Sorry to have hit a hot button for you. You stated that what N2 does is it "stents open the alveoli and adds in proper gas exchange." Fair enough. I added that -- under pressure -- it has narcotic properties, and wondered if that is why one can dive so deep on air but not heliox with the same O2 fraction. I am certainly not going to argue respiration with you -- just as there are some subjects you should not argue with me -- but I'm offering an intriguing hypothesis that you might want to comment on.

Let’s talk. I have not forgotten about the problem of the N2 narcotic effect on he body. I work and live in that world. I truly did not take it as a joke but a question to my profession. I am tired of the CO2 retention and hypoxia thoughts posted on here. We have a vast amount of divers listening to us and they could go wrong by what we state.
I did not state that a 1.6 ata was OK but I did state that opposition from the poster that most will tox at 1.6 is pure BS.
Thanks for coming back and willing to discuss this important situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom