Power surges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabum2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning to go to the Philippines in November to a small resort near Anilao. From what I've been told, the power at the resort is a bit unstable and can sometimes surge. I believe the Philippines are on 220V. I'm bringing with me both battery chargers and a laptop. Can anyone share what they do while travelling to keep their electronics safe while charging in these types of situations?

I was in Anilao in June and I'll be back there again in September for a few days. I have a power bar I picked up in Manila and it works fine too. The one alcina linked to is a good one. We did not have any problems with power surges there but it never hurts to have one just in case.

There are lots of good sites there and make sure you let the PPD here know you will be there. They are terrific people to dive with. Basura is one of my favorites.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=347

Thanks so much for the advice, Alcina and Dennis. $35 sounds like a fair price for piece of mind. Dennis, I posted once on the PPD forum about our trip and will post more frequently as the trip gets closer to see if anyone wants to join us - we'll be there about 2 weeks.

Thanks for the tip about the power board! I now have one in my possession and have one more stupid question. I assume now that I will need a voltage converter for our 120V electronics to convert to 220V along with plug adaptors. Am I missing anything? Thanks!

If they have 220v and your equipment works on 110v, it sounds like you will
want a step down transformer ( 220v to 110v ) , also available from the Link
above in " Transformer Store " . Don't forget adapter plugs for it. Don't know
what Radio Shack might have.
__

Obviously I'm not an electrical engineer, but doesn't a voltage converter step down higher voltages? If so, wouldn't a transformer be redundant?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom