Potential PLF, but ENTs booked for over a month

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zroeder

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I gave myself a middle ear barotrauma on March 16th during a dive. Afterwards, I treated the injury with sudafed. My only symptom was ear fullness, and this ear fullness went away after about 12 hours.

I was asymptomatic until March 28th, when I began to experience tinnitus and dizziness. The tinnitus and dizziness seem to become worse with activity, exercise, and stress. The tinnitus has been severe enough to keep me from sleeping on certain nights. The dizziness makes it difficult to read, so I am unable to function adequately at my job. I think I may have a PLF.

Unfortunately, all the ENTs in my area are booked for over a month. Is it possible that waiting this long for treatment could affect my outcome? Since the ENTs are booked, would it be worth my time to visit the ER or Urgent Care?

Sounds a little atypical for PLF. Have you had a hearing test? If you tell me where you are writing from, I may be able to give you a local recommendation for an otologist (ENT doc specializing in ears). Don't bother with an urgent care center or ER, unless they have some way of getting you in to see someone sooner. Have you seen your regular doc to make sure that all is ok with other systems (heart rate, blood pressure, etc...?).

Thank you for your response! I have not had a hearing test yet, but I am scheduled to have one. Yes, I have seen my regular doctor, and I am otherwise healthy. He saw a tiny amount of clear fluid in the ear that has symptoms but nothing else.

I am in Portland, Maine. I'm happy to travel anywhere in New England if you know someone.

Thank you!

Thank you for your response! I have not had a hearing test yet, but I am scheduled to have one. Yes, I have seen my regular doctor, and I am otherwise healthy. He saw a tiny amount of clear fluid in the ear that has symptoms but nothing else.

I am in Portland, Maine. I'm happy to travel anywhere in New England if you know someone.

Thank you!

Sure...

The only person that I found within 100 miles of your zip code is Dr. Saunders:

Find a Provider | Dartmouth-Hitchcock

Maybe call the office, explain the situation and say that you were in contact with an ENT doc who recommended him for a quick appointment. You can use my name (Michael Rothschild), he won't know me but sometimes that helps. Otherwise, I guess you would need to go to Boston.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom