Post-trip photo and video sharing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this is the right forum for this or not, but was wondering what people do when they get back from a trip and want to share video/pics with everybody from the trip. In my case, it was a LOB so we have like 15-20 people that all want to share pics and video with each other. My first inclination was to throw something up on Dropbox or similar, but we keep running into space and/or user count limits.

Thanks!

I think we might try Google Drive...trying to avoid social media if possible. If I can get everybody to edit their videos and post decent shots rather than just dumping all the raw stuff then I think we might be able to get the size down to a manageable amount.

Flickr.
No need to reinvent the wheel.
If everybody is computer-savvy then Google Drive works....but it is confusing to many.
Facebook sucks for locating/finding things, and for good reasons not everybody is on it.

Can multiple users upload to the same Flickr account? I don't think so. So its not the best option for the OP's case of 20 folks wanting to share their pics.

Can multiple users upload to the same Flickr account? I don't think so. So its not the best option for the OP's case of 20 folks wanting to share their pics.
Correct; it would take 20 accounts. But for someone like me already on Flickr, it would still be preferable. After a trip we share our links, and people go look.
Otherwise I'd have to log my trip in Flickr AND learn and interface to some other system for a one-time use, so I might not do that.
Perhaps those who already have a display/sharing mechanism can use those, and the others can go to Google?

Google photos is easiest. You select the photos
/videos you want to share and Google provides a link. No one else needs to download anything.

You can set it so others can upload their own photos, comment, or just view.

Edit- Now that Google is limiting Photos to 15GB free, I'd create a dummy account just for this purpose.

Thanks all - we're giving Google Photos a shot. Dropbox would have worked too, but the cost to upgrade to the various storage tiers is much higher than Google.

I use Google Drive.

A tip on uploading video, you need to cut it to just the section that is most interested to everyone and filter out the "darth vader" sound. You'll be amazed how much memory you cut out the garbage part of the video clip. Typically I can take out 75 to 90% of the garbage clip.

I put together this trip video from 15 other dive buddies on that trip through Google Drive file sharing.

Back
Top Bottom