post-surgery -- getting medical clearance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I am coming up on 3 months post surgery for heart mitral valve repair. I feel great, I am busy doing my "cardiac rehab" sessions at the hospital, 36 sessions of treadmill, bike, etc monitored by staff. My BP has come down, as has my heart rate. I am still on a small dose of Metoprolol but hope to be off it in next few months. That is my only medication other than vitamins and aspirin daily. I am also back hiking twice a week, 3-4 miles average with a little elevation gain AND I am attending my gym once a week doing 45 min cardio on bike with 30 minutes of weight training after. Needless to say, I feel like I am doing well. I am not 100% yet, but well on my way, IMHO.

So here is my dilemma.... my cardiologist is completely ignorant of scuba diving. All he knows is that it puts a strain on your heart. He also thinks I am TOO active right now and should scale back. I feel like I am doing what I need to do to get better. THE WHOLE REASON I HAD THIS SURGERY WAS TO FIX THE LEAKY VALVE SO I COULD GET BACK TO DIVING AND HIKING AT A NORMAL LEVEL. IF I WANTED TO SIT ON MY BOTTOM IN FRONT OF THE TV SET 24/7 THEN I WOULD HAVE SKIPPED IT FOR NOW.
When visiting him last week, he told me he is ignorant of diving but thinks I should forget it unless I am diving to 10-20' depth max.... he thinks that would be okay and fun. Sheesh. Where the F does he think I would go diving for that? My husband would divorce me if I insisted on a boring trip like that.

Any recommendations on how to educate this doctor? Or am I being silly? My husband wants to go on a dive trip this summer and DIVE. I feel caught in the middle. I am very very frustrated.

(my surgery was not through the breastbone, it was through my ribs... so not the same recovery issues)

robin

Last edited:
When visiting him last week, he told me he is ignorant of diving but thinks I should forget it unless I am diving to 10-20' depth max.... he thinks that would be okay....robin

Hi Robin,

The above cited depth limit attests to the accuracy of your cardiologist's assessment of his diving knowledge ; )

You need to chat with our resident board cardiologist, Dr. Douglas Ebersole --> http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=33646

Regards.

DocVikingo

I am a cardiologist who is also a diver (CCR Trimix instructor, cave diver, tech diver, etc) and a DAN consultant for cardiology. I would be happy to speak with your cardiologist for you.

Basically, if you have recovered from the surgery (sternum healed, etc), have good exercise tolerance, and normal heart muscle function (normal post op echocardiogram) there is no reason you can't get back to diving with no restrictions whatsoever.

Doug

I am a cardiologist who is also a diver (CCR Trimix instructor, cave diver, tech diver, etc) and a DAN consultant for cardiology. I would be happy to speak with your cardiologist for you.

Basically, if you have recovered from the surgery (sternum healed, etc), have good exercise tolerance, and normal heart muscle function (normal post op echocardiogram) there is no reason you can't get back to diving with no restrictions whatsoever.

Doug

Thanks Doug,
I did not have the sternum cut, the surgeon went through my ribcage. I will send you his phone number. THANK YOU so much!

robin

Scubaboard divers rock! Where else could you get help like that. Well done Doug! :cool3:

I am now CLEARED to dive with no restrictions!!!!
Woo Hooo !!!!
Gotta get a copy of a medical waiver to drop off with my Cardiologist to keep with us for our trips. Woo hoo !!!
Thank you Doug and Thank you ScubaBoard. You ROCK !!!

robin

Glad to help. He was very appreciative of my input and very willing to help. He was just being cautious as he did not have a lot of diving knowledge. After all, "above all, do no harm".

Enjoy your return to the underwater world!

Doug

Report........... just got back YESTERDAY from a fabulous week trip to Roatan. We were at CocoView again and had an incredible time. I DID dive, but limited myself to 3 dives per day, doing 17 total and my self-imposed depth limit was 65' (did bounce down slightly deeper twice for less than a minute each time to check something out).
I felt fantastic, no issues whatsoever. In fact, I felt more relaxed and heart rate lower there than here at home, LOL. I did get tired by the end of the week, but so did everyone else there so I am not going to blame the heart surgery.

Thanks again everyone! This vacation was greatly needed by my husband as well as by me.

robin

Back
Top Bottom