Post processing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmg1949

New
Reaction score
Also posted on the Canon board.
First post here. Just got back from Cayman. Have an S 90 with the Canon UW case for first attempt at underwater photos. Used the Underwater setting in the scene mode for the first time out rather than raw. Snorkeling pics in 6-10 feet of water turned out great. My wife and and daughter took it on a dive to 80-90 feet but didn't use the flash. All of the photos have strong blue tint, little color and are quite flat. Is there anything I can do in Aperture (the only editing program I use) to restore some color and life to the photos. Lesson learned though about the need for a flash.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

There are tutorials on the Aperture 3 web pages. Not sure I would call Aperture an editing program; it and Lightroom I would call organizing programs that do a little editing. :)

Shoot in raw

Shoot RAW and with flash at all time underwater. As you learned you start loosing colors (i.e. red) on the first meters. With RAW you can manage a lot of nice thing like exposure or white balance but it will never create color which were not on the picture. On the surface, flash helps you to have a nice light and shot with a high speed, underwater it helps you to have real colors.

halemanō;5340224:
There are tutorials on the Aperture 3 web pages. Not sure I would call Aperture an editing program; it and Lightroom I would call organizing programs that do a little editing. :)

Is there an icon for a can of worms. Lightroom can do all of the editing that most photographers need to do on all of their pics. Ask most professional UW photogs what they use and it will be lightroom or Aperture with an occasional PS CS 5.

As for the original posters question, if he posts a pic we can try to fix it up.
Bill

Also posted on the Canon board.
First post here. Just got back from Cayman. Have an S 90 with the Canon UW case for first attempt at underwater photos. Used the Underwater setting in the scene mode for the first time out rather than raw. Snorkeling pics in 6-10 feet of water turned out great. My wife and and daughter took it on a dive to 80-90 feet but didn't use the flash. All of the photos have strong blue tint, little color and are quite flat. Is there anything I can do in Aperture (the only editing program I use) to restore some color and life to the photos. Lesson learned though about the need for a flash.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Post one you don't like and we will see if we can fix it.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom