Post Mortem Required--Why Do You Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markmud

Self Reliant Diver--On All Dives.
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Bonaire Surgers,

No corpus or corpus dilecti required.

I am starting this thread to learn about and become acquainted with my Bonaire Surge crewmembers. Also, I am just plain interested in what makes divers tick...why do you dive?

May we keep this simple? I am hoping that people who join this thread can use this system for describing themselves in a percentage format (please alter the individual themes to match the results of your psychoanalysis):
  1. Social Diver-
  2. Gearhead/cert collector/ cert process junky/ camera guy/gal, etc.
  3. Fishy/Coral person-
  4. U/W geology nerd and wrecknut-
Example (I am the example):

1. 30% Social Diver. Last year while in Cozumel with Dolphin Scuba (all inclusive, our dive group ate together) Cathy and I were the Oceanic White Tips during lunch and dinner. Our MO was to grab a lone table, and then wait for our unknown-to-us victims to approach , we would then politely "bump" or verbally test them to see if they were amenable to becoming our lunch/dinner guests--we always got our prey and we had a BLAST! We gained quite a few new friends.
  2. 15% Gearhead. I like my gear. I like it my way (while following the tenants of certified diving). I don't have high-end gear nor do I want it. I want what I have. I have an unorthodox rig--I don't swim with the school.
  3. 25% Fish and Coral Person. I think I've seen dolphinfish swimming in St. Croix while U/W. I want to see marlin, tuna (bluefin, yellowfin, albacore, and blackfin), wahoo, and killer whales while scuba diving. The little reef fish swimming among the corals are cool too.
  4. 30% U/W geology nerd and wrecknut. Show me a wall, or swim through, or spur and groove, or a blue hole, or a huge boulder field with some fish and coral and I have reached nirvana. I want to dive that stuff from 130 fsw to 50 fsw. Oh baby! The Oriskany, Spiegel Grove, Yukon, et allia are where it is at. No beat-up shallow reefs for me!
Grand Total: 1000% Vacation Diver!!! (Please change my moniker to your moniker.)

Thanks, and I hope this thread works as I am looking forward to forming relationships with Bonaire Surgers before seeing you in the Caribbean Netherlands!

markm

-100% Social
+100% Fish and coral (90% fish 10% coral).
-100% Gearhead
0% geology nerd -200% Wrecknut

I'm not part of the surge (hate crowds and am antisocial) but I visit Bonaire as often as I can.

-100% Social
+100% Fish and coral (90% fish 10% coral).
-100% Gearhead
0% geology nerd -200% Wrecknut

I'm not part of the surge (hate crowds and am antisocial) but I visit Bonaire as often as I can.

Thanks for your response,

How do we quantify your response:
  1. the mean;
  2. the median;
  3. or weighted average?
Thanks,
markm

Thanks for your response,

How do we quantify your response:
  1. the mean;
  2. the median;
  3. or weighted average?
Thanks,
markm

Let's call it 100% fish and coral.

Let's call it 100% fish and coral.

That is a great reason to dive! And in way, I am envious.
m

Mark,
Not sure that I can gauge my diving motivation to the categories that you stipulated. I started diving in the 70’s and got a bit bored with it. Now, it is simply an excuse to go to a warm beach with my sweet frau, who happens to be an Island girl. We enjoy the beach and we get to do something entertaining while we are there. Win-win. Social... sure. Gearhead... yeah, maybe. Fish and coral... if it were just sand plains (which I dove a lot of) we might not be too thrilled, so, yeah, we like fishies and coral. Geology and Wrecks... interesting only in passing. I might be an outlier... which is pretty much case in most things. Nonetheless, we are quite looking forward to this trip. Now that I think about it, my motivation for this particular trip is more social. I’d like to meet folks that I converse with on the Forums and Chat. Mrs Dish is happy to get warm sand between her toes... which also makes me happy.

Hi Mark,

I am not part of the surge although be in Bonaire next week (and always looking for dive buddys)

I dive for several reasons but I would break it down like this

50 percent mental health (slow breathing completely silent) I think it's better than meditation

25 percent I am going to call it coral and fish or the effort to find the perfect picture of coral and fish to put up on my wall

15 percent social I love meeting new people hearing about their dive story's and interesting place to go

10 percent gearhead i mean come who doesn't like to play with new toys

I do love vacation diving but I like diving at home too because a bad day of dive is better than a good day at work

1. Social Diver- 0%
  2. Gearhead/cert collector/ cert process junky/ camera guy/gal, etc. 10%
  3. Fishy/Coral person- 80%
  4. U/W geology nerd and wrecknut- 10%
I don't have a Facebook account and I rarely take photos of divers. I like to share photos and descriptions on Scubaboard of the animals I find during a dive as a way of educating others and encouraging them to dive these sites.
I carry a camera on every dive but I don't collect cards.
I like diving wrecks for the marine life on them. I read about the history of the wreck but once it's underwater I think of it as a piece of rust.

Mark,
Not sure that I can gauge my diving motivation to the categories that you stipulated. I started diving in the 70’s and got a bit bored with it. Now, it is simply an excuse to go to a warm beach with my sweet frau, who happens to be an Island girl. We enjoy the beach and we get to do something entertaining while we are there. Win-win. Social... sure. Gearhead... yeah, maybe. Fish and coral... if it were just sand plains (which I dove a lot of) we might not be too thrilled, so, yeah, we like fishies and coral. Geology and Wrecks... interesting only in passing. I might be an outlier... which is pretty much case in most things. Nonetheless, we are quite looking forward to this trip. Now that I think about it, my motivation for this particular trip is more social. I’d like to meet folks that I converse with on the Forums and Chat. Mrs Dish is happy to get warm sand between her toes... which also makes me happy.

Hi Dish,

"Win-win" I hope the four of us can share a table at dinner or lunch. Cathy and I will enjoy speaking and diving with you and Mrs. Dish.
markm

Hi Mark,

I am not part of the surge although be in Bonaire next week (and always looking for dive buddys)

I dive for several reasons but I would break it down like this

50 percent mental health (slow breathing completely silent) I think it's better than meditation

25 percent I am going to call it coral and fish or the effort to find the perfect picture of coral and fish to put up on my wall

15 percent social I love meeting new people hearing about their dive story's and interesting place to go

10 percent gearhead i mean come who doesn't like to play with new toys

I do love vacation diving but I like diving at home too because a bad day of dive is better than a good day at work

Hi Jeff 429,

When I solo dive I know the feeling that you are writing about (slow breathing, completely silent...yeah it is therapeutic).

markm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom