Possible? Two different dive ops diving together

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2ODoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Trying to coordinate a group trip, with two families staying at different places....

Is the following possible/doable/common, or just plain stupid?

Let's say one family stayed at Villa Aldora and dove with Aldora
Let's say another family stayed at a Villa down south and dove with, oh, let's say Papa Hogs

Could Aldora divers coordinate diving with the Papa Hogs group every day, or is that just too much of a hassle?

Are you chartering the whole boat with each group? I don't see why you couldn't request the same dive sites. But sounds like a lot of hassle for minimal interaction. Better idea would be to request the same surface interval hangout. Even better, just save it for the after dives happy hour to exchange tales.

This is really a question for your dive ops, though.

Both of us are groups of 5, so typically we take up the whole 6 pack.

I'm guessing it's a bit too much to ask. Beers and lunch afterwards does make more sense. Thanks.

That really should not be a problem as a charter is normally at 5X price and since capacity is 60% a 10 permit boat should be used.
Your charter, they should be able to coordinate. Both are reputable ops and should not be an issue

Why not use the same operator?

That's probably what we'll do, although they are already setup with Papa Hogs and we would be staying at Aldora, so we figured we'd use Aldora. Plus, the distance between them (South) and us (North) makes me wonder if Papa Hogs would come that far for pickup. We might just drive down to their place and jump on their boat down there.

Just brainstorming the best way to make all this work. Which may actually end up just hanging out with them at the pool after diving, and that's fine.

if Papa Hogs would come that far for pickup.
I doubt it, but Aldora would probably pick them up at their dock as it's on the way. Running boats up and down the coast is costly. Aldora might have a boat large enough for everyone available for private charter, but the risk of complications increases when some divers want to skip a day, etc. Booking hotels a mile apart makes the whole idea challenging. I think I'd just meet up after diving.

Meeting up after diving seems to be the plan. We can do some shore dives together at their place, too, so we'll probably do that.

Thanks all! This is what I get for being a last-minute planner!

Really unlikely to work out. In addition to the reasons noted above (north/south etc ) , I believe Aldora is still using big tanks to give divers longer bottom times while Papa Hogs is using standard AL 80s for more normal length dives.

Not knocking one or the other , Aldora has longer dives , but I believe they charge higher prices than Papa Hogs. If the two groups compare prices , I would definitely recommend that you think of it as a cost per minute of bottom time.

If I remember correctly, the Papa Hogs boats are topless.

That is, no bimini for shade or to stow t-shirts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom