Possible Petrel software issue - Bat full icon but bat low warning.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Love my Petrel! Found my first unexpected results.

BACKGROUND: Bought it new about 18 months to 2 years ago, with the VPM (FWIW).

Was diving it over the Memorial Day 2014 weekend, when it announced (via text across the bottom) that the battery was low. Pressed "confirm".

Oddly, the battery icon was showing full and blue. ????

This continued happening throughout the weekend. One time it actually shut down on me. (After the dives, was trying to do log book.)

(Yeah, I thought I had a spare battery.)

Basically, over six dives, it held the readings, but I didn't touch it until I got home to change the batter. To the end, it was showing the "batt full" icon.

All dives were showing Battery Low Init. (had backup computer, so I kept wearing it.)

SWAG: The battery definitely died, with a total of ~40 dives on it. The Petrel icon was reporting incorrectly. It has the latest firmware, IIRC.

Have you heard of this?

You were using the AA or the 3.3 v?

I have a petrel and a predator and both start acting funny when the batteries start going. They will show a low battery one minute then a full one shortly there after. I just change the batteries as soon as they get low. I also use the saft batteries.

I should have said more. The AA don't really work well, but they get you through a vacation, although to be safe you would need to change them every deco dive. The Saft batteries work much better, but Shearwater has a problem with the battery indicator. I've had mine shut off on a dive with 80% battery level showing after 40 or so dives. I change the battery as soon as the indicator comes off of 100% when I really need the computer to work. If I don't really care, like on a recreational dive, I'll let it go into the 80's, and make sure I have fresh spares.

Hi Jax,

Are you certain that the "Battery Type" setting matches the actual type of the battery being used? A mismatch here will cause the battery gauge to be completely wrong.

If that is not the problem, sending us diagnostic logs will let us look into the issue for you. To download these logs:

- In Shearwater Desktop, go to "Help->Diagnostics".

- This will start the dive log download progress, just like normal downloads.

- Just download the dives affected. If issue occurred between dives, choose the dives before and after.

- After download, a button will appear that opens the folder containing the diagnostics logs.

- Email these logs to support at shearwaterresearch dotcom

We can take a look and let you the results.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

Tyler, yes, the saft is the only one I have used, except now. It is on AA. I'll send them up tomorrow.

Sent from my Galileo Sol using Tapatalk

---------- Post added May 31st, 2014 at 08:48 AM ----------

Sent!

Was there anything learned from this? I had a similar (bit different!) wonky indicator on the weekend, using PhotoLithium battery. I changed out the battery, but haven't used the 'pooter since....

It is a function of the battery and the way in drains.

Basically, as soon as you get the yellow, have a spare battery. The first time it says low batt, change it.

I had issues with the battery indicator on mine (using saft battery). I contacted Shearwater, there is an issue with the contacts in some early Petrels. Sent mine to SW got it back in 2 days, they replaced the circuit board. Have not dove it again yet but I do find the brisk waters of Georgian Bay can lower the voltage of a not so fresh AA cell… I'm diving next weekend if the comp. acts up I'll post here again.

Reactions: Jax
Shearwater replaced the contacts in mine.
Very quick turn around and great customer service.

No problems since the contacts were replaced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom