Question Possible lung over expansion injury. Unsure why to do.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So a couple of weeks ago I was idiot and held my breath on my safety stop trying get get my dome cover of my camera on. I have a bad habit when focusing on a task of forgetting to breathe - on land, but never underwater. As soon as I ascended I was immediately struggling to breathe and told the crew to remove fins wetsuit and get me O2. By the time they’d got the 02 I thought I was overreacting and declined it. This seems like it was a mistaken. Since then, particularly in the morning, breathing requires real effort. It goes after an hour or so. I can feel quite scary. It’s two weeks now and it’s not resolving to a significant degree. Obvs I haven’t dived since. I have a long haul flight in 3 days and am slightly concerned. I wish I had gone oh the O2 immediately but pride got in the way. Any thoughts on what to do? After 2 weeks would a chamber dive even help?

Tia,
John

If I were in your shoes, I would consult a qualified diving physician immediately, or contact DAN (Divers Alert Network). They can give you really sound advice. My 2 cents: Please do not postpone any of these two things. AFAIK, diving-related injuries and barotrauma can become permanent,or even worsen significantly over time if left untreated. Keep in mind that I am not a doctor, just a novice diver.

So a couple of weeks ago I was idiot and held my breath on my safety stop trying get get my dome cover of my camera on. I have a bad habit when focusing on a task of forgetting to breathe - on land, but never underwater. As soon as I ascended I was immediately struggling to breathe and told the crew to remove fins wetsuit and get me O2. By the time they’d got the 02 I thought I was overreacting and declined it. This seems like it was a mistaken. Since then, particularly in the morning, breathing requires real effort. It goes after an hour or so. I can feel quite scary. It’s two weeks now and it’s not resolving to a significant degree. Obvs I haven’t dived since. I have a long haul flight in 3 days and am slightly concerned. I wish I had gone oh the O2 immediately but pride got in the way. Any thoughts on what to do? After 2 weeks would a chamber dive even help?

Tia,
John
Why do you think you need a chamber ride? Lung overexpansion is a trauma apart from AGE and you do not sound like you have any symptoms of AGE. You need to see a doc and have your lungs checked for pneumothorax and emphysema or any other damage without wasting time.

Tia,
John
Ditto @Antonios and @Ucarkus above. Please get medical attention as soon as possible. After that, you may want to see a diving medical consultant. Here is a link to the UKDMC's website with diving medical referees.

Best regards,
DDM

If I were in your shoes, I would consult a qualified diving physician immediately, or contact DAN (Divers Alert Network). They can give you really sound advice. My 2 cents: Please do not postpone any of these two things. AFAIK, diving-related injuries and barotrauma can become permanent,or even worsen significantly over time if left untreated. Keep in mind that I am not a doctor, just a novice diver.
Unfortunately in the past I’ve had to dive, as a guid, with a really nasty lung infection for weeks without a break and I know the difference. There’s an infection for sure. This doesn’t feel like the primary issue. It feels like actual lung damage and it’s scary.
1001 dives tells me you didn't hold your breath while ascending. Or did you? My cat had a chest infection and I took it to the vet for antibiotics.

T
Ditto @Antonios and @Ucarkus above. Please get medical attention as soon as possible. After that, you may want to see a diving medical consultant. Here is a link to the UKDMC's website with diving medical referees.

Best regards,
DDM
Thanks for the replies. I’m going to see whether I can see a dive physician in Sydney before I head back to the UK. Finding a dive doc here in Fiji in 2 days isn’t gonna happen. When I get back to the UK I’ll get the the dive hospital in London who are excellent. I guess I’m just going to have to take a chance flying before I can see a dive doctor.

Thanks again. I’ll let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed it’s just an infection. Doesn’t add up as the extreme tightness in my chest upon getting back on board and having to instruct the crew quickly as I thought I was going to go unconscious doesn’t happen with an infection, from my cursory understanding at least. This dive was a really easy one too. The only trouble I had was at the safety stop trying to get a home made dome cover onto my camera. It was enough of a struggle that I had to wedge the camera between my legs while I tried to fit it. I’ve never ti my knowledge held my breath underwater. I am *freqeuently* called out on it in land when concentrating and reminded to breathe. It’s never translated under water before but this time I’m relatively sure I did.

Anyhow trying to make an apt with a dive doc in Sydney now.

Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom