possible barracuda attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ch0ppersrule

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For those who read about the diver spear fishing that got impaled by what he thought was a barracuda, it was confirmed to be a crocodile needlefish. The 19 yr. old male is at home tonight (Friday July 29th) and doing fine. He got to keep the tooth that came off while inside his chest. His liver was punctured and all is good now. Just a short update on the guy. This was the guy on O'ahu doing the night spearfishing dive. Not sure whether he was a free diver or scuba diver (I am assuming a free diver, but you know what assume means...).

good Lord!!!! I'm glad he's okay.

Reading the news report, it appears the diver may have been on the surface when attacked. It's unclear.

A little research found that needlefish will skitter or leap along the surface when disturbed. They have accidentally killed fisherman by running into them.

It's likely this was just such an accident.

ch0ppersrule:
For those who read about the diver spear fishing that got impaled by what he thought was a barracuda, it was confirmed to be a crocodile needlefish. The 19 yr. old male is at home tonight (Friday July 29th) and doing fine. He got to keep the tooth that came off while inside his chest. His liver was punctured and all is good now. Just a short update on the guy. This was the guy on O'ahu doing the night spearfishing dive. Not sure whether he was a free diver or scuba diver (I am assuming a free diver, but you know what assume means...).

I'm glad he's ok, that would have scared the fish food outta me. I hadn't heard of the needlefish before now so I looked up images and I can see how someone would mistake it for a barracuda on the surface. They look alike (although I couldn't judge their size) except for the head/snout thingy.

These posts are almost enough to get me wearing a front plate with my back one, and a cup under my wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom