Poseidon Xstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am hoping for some opinions on the Poseidon Xstream. Has anyone had any experiences with this series of reg? I'm looking at the Xstream Deco to use with O2 during my last stop above 6 msw. I like the side exhaust design (no "upsidedown" breathing stutter ) and durable design of the Poseidon but have not used a side exhaust 2nd stage or a Poseidon reg before. Also would like to know advantages/disadvantages of side exhaust versus regular 2nd stage.

Great reg. I have dove it in cold, very cold and freakin freezeing water. It breathes like a dream. And since you used to have one you know what I am talking about. As far as improvements go, the HP seat is a steel ball, so needless to say it doesn't ever fail. And the second stage is very light in weight and the purge is hidden in behind so it is literally impossible to get hit by anything. The design that does not require the use of an enviromental kit worked very well under the ice. I have a feeling that you aren't too concerned with that though. Great reg. I would own one if it weren't for the cost. But I can say that it will likely replace one of my apeks on the next purchase. As far as disadvantages of the side exhaust I cannot think of any. The only thing that I have heard of is that people find their SAC rate goes up a little becuase of the servo-assisted valve. I enjoyed it very much. As long as you can get it serviced and don't mind the tag. I have a feeling you won't as you are only the second guy thatIknow of that will use it on their stage bottle. I would recommend the straight version if you can. The 90 is a little obtrusive..

thank you so much for the feed back - for a moment I thought no one was going to reply.

I'm a little unclear about some things:

rescuediver009:
Great reg. I have dove it in cold, very cold and freakin freezeing water. It breathes like a dream. And since you used to have one you know what I am talking about.

Actually, I've never owned a Poseidon - I'm an Apeks user. I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding your response (English is not my first language) - If I am, I apologize.

rescuediver009:
I would recommend the straight version if you can. The 90 is a little obtrusive..

The Xstream Deco comes with a straight 1st stage as standard - is it possible to get it with the 90? Is it important to get the "Deco" version or can I just use an O2 clean (to be able to use up to 99% O2) Xstream Duration? The differences are just the colour of the 2nd stage, right?

The Xstream Deco comes with a straight 1st stage as standard - is it possible to get it with the 90? Is it important to get the "Deco" version or can I just use an O2 clean (to be able to use up to 99% O2) Xstream Duration? The differences are just the colour of the 2nd stage, right?[/QUOTE]

The Deco does not come with the 90 degree angle first stage. That type of a sharp turn could create quite a bit of heat from the turbulent gas flow. Poseidon's testing indicated that the straight version is more suitable for pure oxygen. I believe that this is a bit overly conservative, but that was their official decision.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

Vie:
thank you so much for the feed back - for a moment I thought no one was going to reply.
Nope, I think that only happens to me (if you look up all the threads I have started)

Vie:
The Xstream Deco comes with a straight 1st stage as standard - is it possible to get it with the 90? Is it important to get the "Deco" version or can I just use an O2 clean (to be able to use up to 99% O2) Xstream Duration? The differences are just the colour of the 2nd stage, right?
I made an error. It is the duration that comes in the 90 version. It is only rated to 50% and is nitrox green. If you are only going to be using a 50% mix you are ok. Yes it can be cleaned to be compatible to 100% O2. Otherwise you can get the Duration that is oxygen white and only coms in the straight version. If you want the exacts, go to http://www.poseidon.se/bild.dip?id=366

Vie:
I am hoping for some opinions on the Poseidon Xstream. Has anyone had any experiences with this series of reg? I'm looking at the Xstream Deco to use with O2 during my last stop above 6 msw. I like the side exhaust design (no "upsidedown" breathing stutter ) and durable design of the Poseidon but have not used a side exhaust 2nd stage or a Poseidon reg before. Also would like to know advantages/disadvantages of side exhaust versus regular 2nd stage.
I've had one for about 2 years. I have the deep version. When I first got it it breathed great. I used it on some cave diving last Feb. and after a few days of cave diving, there was a reddish-brown residue in the 2nd stage. I cleaned it out, it predive breathed fine, started the next cave, and the thing free-flowed. Shutting down the reg, I returned to the surface, and couldn't get the thing to stop the freeflow. Switched regs and completed the dive.
I have yet to take the thing to have it checked out (I want to be there when it's torn apart, and the nearest dealer is 2 hrs away). The first impression that I got was that the brown stuff was rust. Luckly I have several Apex's and ScubaPro's for stage tanks when I need them. At this point, I'm reserving my thoughts on them.
Later,
DC

I would only assume that your problem is one of two things one more likely than the other.
1. You didn't open the valve all the way or for whatever reason there was not enough air getting to the second stage to keep it shut.
2. There was some kind of crap in, or damage to the stainless steel ball.

Used mine under the ice. Better performer there than my Apeks and (although I haven't tried) most definetely the Scubapro.
That is about the harshest environment I can think of Vie

thank you for the feedback, everyone. :wink:

The Duration & Deco both use the same 1st stage service kit (with the exception of the 90 model Duration), so it looks like all you'd need to mess with on the Duration is a clean & lube.
Are they selling for decent $$ over there?

Bob3:
Are they selling for decent $$ over there?

If you mean in Bangkok...I don't even know if you can get newer Poseidon products here. The nearest place for me would be Koni in Singapore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom