Poseidon reg setup question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas

Contributor
Reaction score
I am in the process of getting a new reg setup that I would later be able to convert to a double first stage/tech setup but I need to do the process in stages due to the budget. So I have been poking around and thinking a bit.......so help me with comments and suggestions.

I really like the Poseidon Xstream Deep/Dive series (Dive has more ports on it- so might be an option, I also realize that it has potentially more fail points). So I was thinking of getting on of those and attaching the matching Octo for now. Equip the 2nd stage with the 7' hose and use the octo on the bungee on the neck. And then later just buy another 1st stage and transfer it to that once the money fairy is nice to me. So for now dive off the single 1st stage with the 2 regs attached (sorta like a normal rec setup and switch to tech when I can) Do you foresee any problems with this setup? Any problems with getting just a 1st stage down the road? According to Poseidon the 2nd stage and octo are the exact same with different covers - is this really so?

OR the other option is to the same configuration and upgrading later BUT using the Jetstream/Odin model instead. How is this 'older' reg like? Are they still good? Does anyone have any comments about those? Again still issue with getting just the 1st later to migrate to a full tech setup later.

SO I guess my ultimate question is, is it worth to spend the extra $$$ now and get the Xstream regs/octo setup or is the Jetstream/Odin just as good a reg for less coin? What about my crazy conversion idea? Any concerns/comments about that?

Am I even making sense? If not, I can perhaps rephrase.

I can't answer your specific question, but I'll say that the last time I opened up a Poseidon, there was about 1,000,000 parts in there. I'm more of a "fewer parts, fewer things to break" kind of a guy. I haven't opened one for 10 year so maybe that's changed.

Haven't tried the Xstream yet but I own the Jetstream.
It is as you said an older model and you may have to pull a little more until the valve opens and gives you the air but when it opens, there are very few regs that deliver so much air. The poseidons are great regs for deep dives. The deeper you go, the better they breath. There are better breathing regs in the shallow but in the depth, the poseidons are just top.
Even with 1,000,000 parts in the first stage, they are one of the most reliable regs you'll be able to find. Since Poseidon doesn't bring a new reg every other year, the parts supply shouldn't be a problem.
What you are planning to do sounds very reasonable. Starting with one set and later upgrading. Way to go if $$$ is an issue.
Whether you'll get yourself the Jetstream or Xstream, should depend on the price difference. As said, I haven't tried the Xstream yet but have been told that it is superior to most regs on the market and breathes like a charm. I would go with the Xstream if you can afford it.

whitedragon13:
the last time I opened up a Poseidon, there was about 1,000,000 parts in there. I'm more of a "fewer parts, fewer things to break" kind of a guy. I haven't opened one for 10 year so maybe that's changed.
Poseidons are used by the Sweedish and american military, and the last time I checked they don't settle. I have used the xstream and it is a little different than the Jetstream. It is alot lighter weight, easier to purge and as always a great breather. If you want to use the reg for a single tank for now, you hve to go with the dive version as the deep only has 3 ports including HP. I know a place that actually has the entire unit on sale right now, at a great steal. It is only east of the city, let me know if you are interested. It is the whole setup first, second, octo, gauges. Perfect for what you need. and yes in the future you can buy another first stage only.

The Xstream 2nd stage is pretty much based on the Jetstream, just sort of miniturized & it has actually been "detuned" a tad. The Jet delivers enough air for 3 people, & the Xstrean just 2. (just illustrating a point, as I don't feel like digging out the cfm/lpm info on the critters right now).
The big difference comes with the 1st stage; the Xstream's first stage is not only a work of art, the spherical HP valve in the critter is nothing less than awe inspiring. There's not a million parts in the first stage, here, count 'em: http://www.dyk-brand.se/images/xstream1.jpg
If you want something with barely no moving parts, the Cyklon's 2nd stage has 4 pieces in its service kit, and one is a zip tie for the mouthpiece. :D

rescuediver009:
I know a place that actually has the entire unit on sale right now, at a great steal. It is only east of the city, let me know if you are interested.
Who would that be? and what exactly are we looking at? which gauge?

Thanks for the comments so far, please keep them coming.

Bob3:
The Xstream 2nd stage is pretty much based on the Jetstream, just sort of miniturized & it has actually been "detuned" a tad. The Jet delivers enough air for 3 people, & the Xstrean just 2. (just illustrating a point, as I don't feel like digging out the cfm/lpm info on the critters right now).
The big difference comes with the 1st stage; the Xstream's first stage is not only a work of art, the spherical HP valve in the critter is nothing less than awe inspiring. There's not a million parts in the first stage, here, count 'em: http://www.dyk-brand.se/images/xstream1.jpg
If you want something with barely no moving parts, the Cyklon's 2nd stage has 4 pieces in its service kit, and one is a zip tie for the mouthpiece. :D

I couldn't agree more with the simplicity of the first stage. I don't know that I agree with the capacity and performance with the second stage though. I am not sure that the xstream cannot keep pace with the jetstream. I could be wrong though. Bob have you used both of these regs? I know that the purge on the xstream is a bit stronger, but that doesn't prove a point. Oh and for the record it is rated at 2150 LPM http://www.poseidon.se/bild.dip?id=364

Aqua Ho:
Who would that be? and what exactly are we looking at? which gauge?

Thanks for the comments so far, please keep them coming.
We are talking:
Xstream dive first and second stage.
Xstream octo
Poseidon brass pressure gauge with kevlar hose (1/2 the diameter of a regular hose)
Bc whip.

Lets play the guessing game. What is that whole system worth to you?

rescuediver009:
Lets play the guessing game. What is that whole system worth to you?
LOL I was never good at those. Just name the $$$, for now I am still in the looking stage, wanting to make a purchase in the next couple of months.

So what store is this from?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom