Poseidon gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambolino44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm new to all this, just getting back into diving after several years off, and as I've searched for diving info on the net, I discoverd DIR. From what I've read, it seems very attractive to me. I really like the focus on preparedness, fitness, teamwork, and a robust, standardized gear configuration. I've read a few things that suggest, if not specific regulators, then recommended attributes. What I haven't seen, though, is an explanation of why you don't want to use a high-intermediate-pressure, upstream valve Poseidon reg. And what about the new Xstream reg? Does it have the same problems? Thanks

sambolino44:
I'm new to all this, just getting back into diving after several years off, and as I've searched for diving info on the net, I discoverd DIR. From what I've read, it seems very attractive to me. I really like the focus on preparedness, fitness, teamwork, and a robust, standardized gear configuration. I've read a few things that suggest, if not specific regulators, then recommended attributes. What I haven't seen, though, is an explanation of why you don't want to use a high-intermediate-pressure, upstream valve Poseidon reg. And what about the new Xstream reg? Does it have the same problems? Thanks

This is from the 'deco reg' post on this forum:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=158867&page=2

DIR-Atlanta:
I'll jump in on this. Right off the top of my head:

* Upstream design
* Non-standard hoses and fittings
* Non-standard purge mechanism
* Not field serviceable without tools

There are probably a few more that could be added to that list, but those are the major "negatives".

Soggy:
I'll be honest, I'm not by any means an expert on Poseidons. It's not *my* reasoning, either. I do know they are not DIR and this stems primarily from the upstream design of the 2nd stage....

The 2nd stage can lock up in the event of a freeflow. Some (most) modern versions have an OPV of some sort to compensate for this, so it may not be as likely as it once was. This is just more parts to complicate what should be a very simple design. More parts/more complicated = higher probability for failure. Some require special hoses, which violates gear-standardization principles and is just a general PITA. Some freeflow at low tank pressures. Most cannot be easily taken apart underwater and cleaned without tools or having a bunch of parts to deal with. I'm sure I'm missing some and I realize that many of these problems have been improved upon or solved altogether, (as I'm sure Bob3 will mention ) but the fact remains that Poseidons tend to be much more fickle than downstream designs.

Do a search and speak with a GUE instructor if you want better answers than what I can provide.

I believe they pretty much summed it up on that thread. I have no idea bout any new regs. I've never dove a poseiden or really keep up with their product.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom