Poseidon Cyklon, but which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poor Knight

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking at an auction for a mixed setup with a Cyklon 2nd stage - it's on a NZ based website called TradeMe. Please can you help ID the regs, and give me some idea of the age of this specific reg. I have used Poseidon but have no experience when it comes to identifying / aging the gear. Also, does it look like a Poseidon first stage?
See the listing here: TradeMe Poseidon Regs - Price is listed as NZ$535, or about US$380.
1598974280.jpg
1598974394.jpg
1598974396.jpg
IMG_2618.JPG

It’s a Cyklon 300 first/second stage combo reg, first stage is the 2940 model. This reg looks to be from the mid ‘70s or early 80s, although the second stage is still made today in nearly the same form. Excellent simple reg. The price is too high, usually you can find them for under $200 USD, I once got really lucky and scored one for $50 CAD. Factor in the cost of new 2nd stage exhalation and inhalation diaphragms (they are usually rotted if original) and a hose adaptor so you can use regular hoses and that’s another $70-80 USD. Service kits for both stages will be another $70-80 USD.

Thanks @p_kos - that is very helpful. For us in new Zealand, everything is priced too high!

Forgot to mention that in addition to the parts listed above, the first stage will also need an HP hose adaptor as well to use modern hoses. And if you can’t service it yourself and need a shop to do it the cost becomes a little ridiculous compared to other regs in this category.

Thanks @p_kos - that is very helpful. For us in new Zealand, everything is priced too high!

Agreed -- that price was far too high.

A friend recently purchased three Cyklon 300 first stages, at an estate sale, I was told, for US 75.00 . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.34.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.34.19 PM.png
    190 KB · Views: 79
@Bigbella - that is a bargain anywhere. I'm jealous!:confused:
I was a bit envious as well.

He was hoping to salvage at least a single regulator, for that price, by cannibalizing parts as needed; but after I overhauled them, he wound up with three very clean first stages, all with rock solid IPs . . .

Back
Top Bottom