Poseidon cyklon 5000 first stage washer of despair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joris Vd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello guys, I've just rebuilt a cyklon 5000 first stage and I'm thinking to myself oh my lord this is going well and I close up the entire thing, Open a bottle of wine to congratulate myself for getting the kit together using a cotton swab stick as an assembly tool. I get ready to test if the IP is stable.
At the same moment I pour in my glass and I notice in my right eye corner.
A RUBBER WASHER I FORGOT TO PUT IN.

I have no idea where it's supposed to go, and I can't find it anywhere on the schematic on the service manual. It's flat like a washer, but a bit more soft, it's like an o-ring washer hybrid (and no it's not just a flattened o-ring).
image.png

It's really preventing me from enjoying my evening.
Anyways any help would be great as to why there is a rubber washer that's not to be found anywhere in the manuals?(16mm inner diameter,20 mm outer)

(I usually work on piston regulators like the mk2/5/10's and this is my first crack at poseidons, so I might be missing something really obvious).

With kind regards,

Joris

@Joris Vd which first stage is it? That doesn't look like anything in any poseidon first stage I have rebuilt....

it's the 3950 (Cyklon 5000) it seems to be built in 2001? Serial number is 101659.
I've looked and looked on several service manuals and it seems there is no real need for it. I did find out where it was placed though.
It was placed on the top of the metal part that pushes the diaphragm with the thick spring in the ambient chamber.

Maybe the spring is worn out and he put a washer there to increase tension? I have no idea, I also have no means of testing if the ip can hold stable today.
I'll give an update as soon as I get the chance tomorrow.

you can get a good idea if you remove the top spring and the screw bit, make sure HP ports are closed, and pressurize. Leave it for a few minutes. If you can purge any gas out of the regulator then the IP is creeping. If not, you have a good chance that it will be stable

For most other diaphragm 1st Stages there is a washer between the top of the external spring and the pressure adjusting screw. Reduces friction/scratching when turning the pressure adjusting screw. I notice the Cyklon doesn't show one in the manual I have.

it's the 3950 (Cyklon 5000)
It was placed on the top of the metal part that pushes the diaphragm with the thick spring in the ambient chamber.

Maybe the spring is worn out and he put a washer there to increase tension? I have no idea, I also have no means of testing if the ip can hold stable today.
I'll give an update as soon as I get the chance tomorrow.

I was thinking much the same thing -- that it could have been some custom stop gap measure -- I knew a guy who was always futzing with various shim arrangements, though not with Poseidons. I didn't recognize that part either; and I had been working on them through the 2950s.

Enjoy your wine and fashionable monocle; and good luck with the IP . . .

Back
Top Bottom