Portugal/Spain Caves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underwater Tourist

Contributor
Reaction score
I am going to Portugal for a month and want to do some cave diving there (and potentially in neighbouring Spain). I know there are caves in Mallorca, but its a pita to get there from Faro/Portimao where I will be staying.

Do you guys know a good resource that summarizes what caves exist in Portugal/Spain?

Maybe there is someone/some dive center that I should reach out to?

@Vicko I tagged you here because you are the only EU SB member I remember from the top of my head :)

Get a copy of that book by Martyn Farr, it's the best guide to cave diving in Europe in existence.

You're welcome. Here's also a nice data base (in French only though).Btw, I think cave dinving in France, while coming from Portugal wouldn't be a bad idea, it seems less bothersome than crossing all Spain to get to Mallorca.

Here are some businesses that can provide you with gaz and guided tours if needed :

- Lot filling station
- The Cave to be

Cueva del Agua, Isla Plana, Murcia Spain. (termal fresh water.. 30 celsius degrees)
Pozo Azul, Spain

Mallorca has great cave diving but it's not like Florida or Mx. There is not really any infrastructure for tourist cave diving with shops and guides and stuff and access can be kinda difficult.
I don't know what the deal is in Portugal.
What time of years are you going to be there?
Like JMBL said, for 'touristy' cave diving, your best bet is going to be to drive up to the Lot region in France.
Make sure to email one or both of the shops JMBL linked to well in advance though as they might be closed or have no guides available.

Are Mallorca caves opened for everyond? I've hear you need some permissions which are not easg to (unless you knows "someone")

Mallorca has great cave diving but it's not like Florida or Mx. There is not really any infrastructure for tourist cave diving with shops and guides and stuff and access can be kinda difficult.
I don't know what the deal is in Portugal.
What time of years are you going to be there?
Like JMBL said, for 'touristy' cave diving, your best bet is going to be to drive up to the Lot region in France.
Make sure to email one or both of the shops JMBL linked to well in advance though as they might be closed or have no guides available.
I am going in June

It’s not a cave diving trip, the idea is to just bring the cave gear in case some caves just happen to be within driving distance

If not then not

Are Mallorca caves opened for everyond? I've hear you need some permissions which are not easg to (unless you knows "someone")
Yeah I read that some are closed off

But remember not only we are talking about the eu, but it’s also Spain/Portugal, so nothing is really closed :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom