Porteau Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Julian55

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went out on Saturday and dove under the dock, not sure if you are allowed or not but we went anyway, about half way out you come to a pile of rocks and we spent a good 20 minutes playing with the biggest Octopus I have ever seen. The sckers were as big as toonies!! highly reccomend checking him out if you go next time, just look out for boat traffic!!

Found an octopus denning underneath a mooring block just north of the rudder of the Granthall. Here's a pic a friend took of me while I was watching Cheng taking a picture ...

BobPorteauCove-1.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I saw the same one as NWGrateful a couple weeks ago... tucked quite far into the den. Shy little guy. We saw a nice collection of crab bits outside an opening and figured something was up. I guess that's the easiest way to spot them. Makes sense, really :) This was my first "big" creature of the deep, very exciting! I tried to find a live crab to lure the octo out but no luck... probably for the best.

And thanks for the heads up for the one under the dock!

I went under the dock for the first time yesterday.

That's a great dive, especially for a beginner like myself. Easy to navigate, lots of life, and nice and shallow to extend dive time.

It was really cool to see all the anenomes and crabs all the way up the pilings of the dock. Thoroughly searched the rock piles for the octo but had no luck. I did find a fresh lemon though... weird :confused:

Does anybody know if we ARE allowed to dive under there?

Oh, and I managed to lose my snorkel under there someplace, if anybody sees a US Divers blue and clear one... let me know :shakehead:

Oh, and I managed to lose my snorkel under there someplace, if anybody sees a US Divers blue and clear one... let me know :shakehead:

Since you're in Richmond, you might want to pick up another one for 5 bucks from your neighbour here. :wink:

Yes you can dive under the docks, you have to watch out for boat traffice though on or by the ramp.

Found an octopus denning underneath a mooring block just north of the rudder of the Granthall. Here's a pic a friend took of me while I was watching Cheng taking a picture ...

BobPorteauCove-1.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nice picture...It looks like there's alot more invertebrate life on the Granthal than when I used to dive there (10+ years ago). Back then the hull was completely bare except for hundreds of little calcareous tube worms.

Did you see the car keys and electronic lock fob? I had a good "aquatic" chuckle when I came across those. Someone up there was swearin...

ya, when I was their,we looked for the octopus near the granthall but we didn't see it,a nice eel though later on in the dive, somewhere near the jungle gym,good dive and their was good vis
Cheers
Blair

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom