Port lucaya on own boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim C

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Considering taking a family trip to Port lucaya in June for 3 days. We'll be going over on our own boat to fish and dive and probably staying at Our Lucaya Reef Village.
How's the diving in this area? better than the keys or the same?
Are the dive sites/areas easy to find or is there a map?
Any recomendations on fishing?

Thanks

The diving is great!! very similar to the Keys, but little to no current (usually), and not as many wrecks.
Most dive sites are easy to find as they have moorings. However, the moorings are owned and maintained by the local dive operators, They don't like it when they find someone tied up to their moorings. I have seen a map of the dive sites, but don't know where you could get one.

If you're fishing please don't catch any of our favorite Groupers or Sharks. We love diving with them!! :)

Have a great trip!!

how is the coloration compared to the keys or caymans?

I haven't been to the Caymans, and I've only dived the Keys near Marathon.

I'd say it's just as colorfull, maybe even more colorfull. Lot's of Coral and pretty Fishes.

Our Lucaya is great, Reef Village- radisson, is the old Holiday Inn a low rise,with the Our Lucaya -radisson now ,the towers
I'm sure you will like it.
not sure you know the entrance fee is up to $150,$300 35'+ now, That really took a bite out of the long weekend travellers over!
We did the trip many times with regattas and fuel was cheap!
Diving is ok, The Keys have more wrecks! Miles of deserted beach east towards Mclean's town,Small boiling hole/blue hole off the old cemetery out that way,Bone fishing at Deep Water Cay is the best!!

FYI
When arriving in port, boaters should observe the following:

Visiting boaters must clear Customs and Immigration at the nearest designated Port of Entry.
As you enter port, fly the yellow quarantine flag and notify Customs of your arrival. Customs and Immigration will come to your vessel.
No one other than the captain is permitted to leave the boat until your vessel has been cleared.
Everyone on board must have proof of citizenship and fill out an immigration card. U.S. citizens can present a passport .
You must declare all on board firearms with Customs. You must provide the firearm serial number and manufacturer, plus an exact count of ammunition. Though you are allowed to have a firearm on your vessel, you cannot take it off the vessel unless you obtain a permit from the Bahamian police ahead of time. Weapons must be under lock and key at all times. Any infraction of this law is dealt with severely.

Entry Fees:
Vessels up to 35 feet: $150.00*
Valid for two entries during a 90-day period.

Vessels over 35 feet: $300.00*
Valid for two entries during a 90-day period.

*Listed entry fees apply to vessels with four persons or less. The fee covers a cruising permit, a fishing permit, Customs and Immigration charges, and the $15.00 per person departure tax for up to four persons. Each additional person above four will be charged a $15.00 departure tax. If you plan to stay longer than 12 months, special arrangements must be made with Bahamas Customs and Immigration. Regular hours for Bahamas Customs and Immigration Officers are 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. Officers are on-call during holidays and weekends. There is no overtime charge

Back
Top Bottom