Port Closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Port closed today.

Windguru looks good for tomorrow and Tuesday. But Wednesday and Thursday are not looking good. :(

Port closed today.

Windguru looks good for tomorrow and Tuesday. But Wednesday and Thursday are not looking good. :(

Monday through Friday look GREAT! Not sure where you are getting that information. The wind is cming almost straight out of the east the rest of the week which is PERFECT!

upload_2019-11-3_12-13-20.png

Sigh. I wish I was in Cozumel.

We were diving 10/27 to 10/31 and the currents were a bit crazy. On our first dive the current was super fast (this was our 5th year of diving Cozumel and I hadn't seen anything like that before) - the days up until the 31st were pretty good - but on the 31st we started our first dive at Delilah, went through Cedral and ended up in Santa Rosa shallow (I was told). Our second dive that day was Paradise and was very nice.

Are these crazy currents something that 'just happens' from time to time? We looked to see if there were any storms brewing anywhere and nothing was popping up.

For the record, I'd much rather still be there than facing work tomorrow ... :wink:

We got out of the downtown pier before the port closed. We were also on a 43 foot boat if that matters. We had two great dives, although hit a mild down current at one point and our bubbles would just hang in front of our face. The current also changed directions mid dive. The down current was interesting but not a major issue. The second dive on Tormentos was pure perfection. No current whatsoever and had the reef to ourselves. 2 octopus sleeping in holes were absolutely a highlight of the week.

Did both entries negative, but after the dives the surface was choppy and current was definately strong. Once the boat was close, they tossed a line to hang on to while waiting for the ladder to clear.

Going back in we had to go to the North Marina and cab back. Due to the size of the boat, the ride back was pleasant. If you would have been in a Panga it would have been a different story.

Yet another great day of diving in Cozumel.....someone tell me why I am going back to nothing but work and bills?

Safe travels,
Jay

We got out of the downtown pier before the port closed. We were also on a 43 foot boat if that matters.

I think there are two types of closings, one that shuts down everything (rare) and one that closes the sea to boats under 40'.

We got out of the downtown pier before the port closed. We were also on a 43 foot boat if that matters.
Yes, it matters, and if the port had closed for the size boat you were on after you had left the dock, you would have been called back.

Last year we were out fishing across the channel when the word went out that the port was closing because of the approach of a large strong thunderstorm. We were disappointed at having to hook up and run home, but after we had been ashore for 15-20 minutes we were glad we did!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom