Port closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kentmorrdave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
There is hope it will reopen later this morning. Doesn't seem to be as windy as yesterday. Friday January 11

As of 7:20AM CST it appears to be open. I see small boats on the El Presidente webcam.

Opened at 7:30 - flat out there today

Port closures always leave me confused. I dive the northern Gulf of Mexico and it is never flat. The best you can hope for is a 1-2 roll, but 3-5 is more often the case. Makes riding the ladder a little more interesting, but still not something that can't be done. Dunno....I am sure there is a reason that I am overlooking, but I think I can count only once when the waves were such that I woulda scratched my dives.

Port closures always leave me confused. I dive the northern Gulf of Mexico and it is never flat. The best you can hope for is a 1-2 roll, but 3-5 is more often the case. Makes riding the ladder a little more interesting, but still not something that can't be done. Dunno....I am sure there is a reason that I am overlooking, but I think I can count only once when the waves were such that I woulda scratched my dives.
I wondered about that on my first trip to Coz and found the "port closed" on the first morning, me asking what that meant exactly, then wondering why. I looked at the waves with a couple of guys from Oregon and asked them if it's ever that good at home when they dive? The worst I'd dive in previously was in 8-12s in Key Largo, which we shouldn't have, but those little waves I saw that day in Coz looked easy enough.

But then many of the dive boats in Coz are little pangas. Sometimes they close it only to small boats, but then there is the language barrier with some crew members in trying to explain to divers how to board in rough seas. And sometimes the harbor master closing it for no apparent reason and risks the anger of the dive ops.

Anyone keeping track of the total number port closures this season (Nov 1st forward)? Seems worse than usual. I heard it was closed again on Tuesday with another El Norte this weekend and another possibly the following weekend (long way out hopefully the wind shifts)

Of course I am - hahaha - don’t have it handy right now and was planning an update after the “norte” season

But I believe we’re at around 6-7 full days and 4-5 partial days since November 12

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom