"Popping" noise in ear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrothead600

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My last dive was approx 3 weeks ago. I had zero issues with equalizing durring this dive. About 2 days after the dive, I began having issues with my left ear.
It started out sounding & feeling somewhat like a piece of paper being crumpled. Now it is sounding & feeling like the bottom of an oil can popping. This seems to happen whenever there is a change in pressure in my ear (such as when I try to suppress a yawn or burp as to not be rude).
I am not noticing any muffled hearing, nor any increase in tinitus. Which, by the way, I do have a low degree of tinitus but it is not any worse due to this issue. I am not experiencing any pain either.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Hi parrothead600,

Given that onset was ~3 weeks ago and no muffling of hearing, increase in pre-existing tinnitus, pain or other signs or symptoms have developed, this sensation does not appear particularly worrisome.

It seems likely that some minor congestion has occurred in or around the Eustachian tube on the affected side(s) and what is being heard is the result of the tube opening to accommodate for changes in pressure between the middle and outer ear. Such changes can occur when SCUBA diving, swallowing, and suppressing yawns and burps. The congestion may be the result of such things as injury to the ear during diving.

This phenomenon should resolve with time. Meanwhile, one can try hastening the process by taking a decongestant and performing very, very gentle equalization maneuvers throughout the day. One needs to be careful not to aggravate the situation.

If the condition does not improve, a visit to an ENT is in order.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Thanks for the info. That does seem to "add up". I'll give the decongestants a try.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom