Poor OW Instruction...the Real "Danger"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This video explores/explains one of the main consequences of poor dive instruction I have observed, which is often linked to courses that are too short.

While a short course might be appropriate for a small percentage of students who are gifted in terms of water comfort, physical skills and ability to learn new skills...the majority of students will likely benefit from a course that has ample time in confined water and ocean for deep learning and comfort.

Hope that might be helpful to those of you choosing an OW course...

Getting the new diver over the hump, ie comfortable, is the real issue. Just adding time isn't the solution: getting them trim and neutral is. The first skill I teach is trim and buoyancy and all other skills are simply added to that core. Students never ever kneel in my class. They don't do fin pivots. They don't stand on the bottom. They don't lie on the bottom. Why? Comfort. Once they're comfortable being neutral, they'll be able to learn their other skills efficiently and that means super quick.

Getting the new diver over the hump, ie comfortable, is the real issue. Just adding time isn't the solution: getting them trim and neutral is. The first skill I teach is trim and buoyancy and all other skills are simply added to that core. Students never ever kneel in my class. They don't do fin pivots. They don't stand on the bottom. They don't lie on the bottom. Why? Comfort. Once they're comfortable being neutral, they'll be able to learn their other skills efficiently and that means super quick.
Great point!
(Good to "see" you again!)

My first post on here but thought I'd share my recent experience learning with my nervous wife as I think you make some very good points here and this may help a couple thinking about it.....

I used to be a ski instructor and sometimes there can be nothing worse than a pushy partner trying to coach and force the other person if they do not progress at the same speed.

My wife and I just did our OW in the Maldives on our Honeymoon. Although primarily it was my desire to do a scuba course while we were away. It had to be Jo's decision to take things beyond our trial dive. This went very well and luckily we had our instructor to ourselves. That afternoon I was off on a short excursion, so I left the decision to Jo if she wanted to continue our progression. She mulled it over while I was away and I was delighted to return to an excited wife.

The following shallow water dives were challenging at times for her especially when it came to removing the mask etc where she would have a moment of panic and stand up. Now as I said with my skiing experience I decided that it was better to let our instructor bond and handle this than trying to intervene also safer for me. It was fine by me I got to practice my buoyancy a lot. Eventually Jo realised she could breath through her mouth while she didn't have a mask on (don't ask). We were able to build our skills and enjoy some of the reefs available around us.

We had a great instructor were very fortunate that it was only us with her all week. The slight downside I observed throughout the week was that Jo had almost got to the point where she might not dive unless it was with our instructor. We were due to stay in another hotel 48hrs before we came home so we decided that it would be wise to do a dive from this island with someone new and different gear while we were both confident. Although Jo was very nervous to start with she settled down quickly and relaxed in the water as long as the DM didn't want her to get to close to the eels.

Now my wife and I are both excited to get back into the water, with her taking an active interest in finding nice places to dive. As long as its warm water I will add. So for any couples thinking of doing a course I guess my 2 pence worth is be patient, allow the instructor to do the teaching and have fun then you will hopefully find a hobby that you will both enjoy for many years because I know we can't wait to get back to it. In the mean time I read and research gear and trips to take.

Hope that helps anyone

Jon

Training should be all about...

1k8n45.jpg

1k8nsl.jpg

Last edited:
My first post on here but thought I'd share my recent experience learning with my nervous wife as I think you make some very good points here and this may help a couple thinking about it.....

I used to be a ski instructor and sometimes there can be nothing worse than a pushy partner trying to coach and force the other person if they do not progress at the same speed.

My wife and I just did our OW in the Maldives on our Honeymoon. Although primarily it was my desire to do a scuba course while we were away. It had to be Jo's decision to take things beyond our trial dive. This went very well and luckily we had our instructor to ourselves. That afternoon I was off on a short excursion, so I left the decision to Jo if she wanted to continue our progression. She mulled it over while I was away and I was delighted to return to an excited wife.

The following shallow water dives were challenging at times for her especially when it came to removing the mask etc where she would have a moment of panic and stand up. Now as I said with my skiing experience I decided that it was better to let our instructor bond and handle this than trying to intervene also safer for me. It was fine by me I got to practice my buoyancy a lot. Eventually Jo realised she could breath through her mouth while she didn't have a mask on (don't ask). We were able to build our skills and enjoy some of the reefs available around us.

We had a great instructor were very fortunate that it was only us with her all week. The slight downside I observed throughout the week was that Jo had almost got to the point where she might not dive unless it was with our instructor. We were due to stay in another hotel 48hrs before we came home so we decided that it would be wise to do a dive from this island with someone new and different gear while we were both confident. Although Jo was very nervous to start with she settled down quickly and relaxed in the water as long as the DM didn't want her to get to close to the eels.

Now my wife and I are both excited to get back into the water, with her taking an active interest in finding nice places to dive. As long as its warm water I will add. So for any couples thinking of doing a course I guess my 2 pence worth is be patient, allow the instructor to do the teaching and have fun then you will hopefully find a hobby that you will both enjoy for many years because I know we can't wait to get back to it. In the mean time I read and research gear and trips to take.

Hope that helps anyone

Jon
Great observations/comments!

The video emphasizes getting comfortable underwater as cruciaI, and how that may not happen in a 2-day class for many candidates.

I have been grateful for the past 17 years for my good OW instruction. Four evening classes, three or four pool sessions, then four open water dives in the Florida springs-- Morrison, Vortex. And my first certified dives after "graduating", were tagging along with their next OW class, off Destin, buddying with one of the several "certified spouses" who came along with their beloved student-mates. We got to do our own dives, same 60' wreck as the class, but off to the side. Best of both worlds--independence, but close to the "Magi" if anything had gone wrong.

It was also a chance to try out my newly-bought gear (advantage when you buy from LDS)
And I have noticed over the years that divers from "my" shop, out at the Flower Gardens for example (an intermediate venue way offshore but which still attracts a lot of newbies), tended to stay out of trouble, and to be the ones assisting those who needed it.

Others may disagree, but to answer video guy's question, "why do so many certify and then never dive?", I think (in part) it's because they don't buy gear right away. I did, and the cheapskate in me made me go out and use the stuff, "to get my money's worth!", a motivation I wouldn't have had if I was just going to rent. I had a friend in the same class who was "going to rent", but never did, and has never dived since. I think repetition yields comfort underwater.

The video emphasizes getting comfortable underwater as cruciaI, and how that may not happen in a 2-day class for many candidates.
That is absolutely crucial, and it won't happen in a 2-day class. I'd say it won't happen for anyone.

There are frequently questions on here from people who aren't strong swimmers that want to get into scuba diving. The responses usually say the two are different, but a strong swimming background will definitely help.

I was around water pretty much as far back as I can remember. I vaguely remember when my parent's put in an above ground pool, and I can more clearly remember when they changed it to inground. My parents put us through swimming lessons as early as possible back in those days. As a result, I was always very comfortable in the water. Never had any issues at all with my OW training, and being able to do the skills necessary. My first OW training was a joke, but that's only because they only required me to do a single dive. Not nearly enough time to practice.

When my kids were born, they were exposed to water very early. They started survival lessons at around 6-8 months old. Now they are 8 and 11, and both are quite comfortable in the water. The 11 year old is a certified diver. I was permitted to go along on her checkout dives after her pool sessions. She did well on her pool sessions, and was comfortable in the water. She was way ahead of most of the other students during the pool sessions. During the first checkout dives, they did do a bit of kneeling to go over the drills (mask clearing, regulator recovery, etc.). While they were doing that, I got to wondering if the students would really remember what to do if they needed to do a regulator recovery in real-life.

After all, it's one thing to do it on command where you can prepare for it, and it's quite another thing to do it out of necessity. So, I was wondering if my daughter would really be able to handle herself if she loses her 2nd stage for some reason. On the 1st dive the next day, she answered that question. While swimming, another student accidentally kicked her, and knocked her regulator out of her mouth. It immediately went behind her in free-flow mode. She swept and reached for it, and when she didn't immediately come up with it, she grabbed her backup, cleared and started breathing. By that time, I was there and was able to get her primary under control. Maybe not a textbook recovery as she didn't immediately come up with it, but there was no indication that she was ready to bolt for the surface or anything like that. She did what she needed to do at the time to continue breathing.

Yeah, most that read my posts probably know I don't at all like the "2 weekend" courses (though these were the only ones I could assist with due to my location, to make any money or at least cover Canadian gas prices for a 100 mile -- not 100 km.--round trip). I saw some students do OK and others "get by". I wouldn't do it if starting over. But these are VERY old topics.

It's a good video, but admit I didn't watch it all. Most veterans of SB would agree completely. It's a topic that has been discussed to death here. Maybe it's a marketing tool?

Would love to see, if you have any links to write-ups or videos you have on this...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom