Poor man's tank pressure checker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidInNH

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all!

I've got a retired SPG and access to an old first stage and would like to assemble them together to make a tank pressure tester. This is so that I don't have to hook up my dive computer (with integrated SPG), start it and wait for it to go through diagnostics and then run for 2 hours, decreasing battery life - just to check tank pressure.

The only problem is that I need some mechanism to vent the pressure so that I can disconnect the first stage from the tank. Since I won't have a second stage, I was wondering if there's some kind of venting apparatus that I could put on the first stage to accomplish this goal.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the suggestion. The link is to a DIN checker so I'd have to find a yoke one but I might replace the air blower in your suggestion with a tire inflater (which I've wanted to get as well), so it might just be the cost of the LP hose. The SPG is the old one from my now-retired console so, since it has been accurate enough for all these years, should continue to serve me well.

Thanks again.

BTW having an old reg with a lp hose is great around the house. I use it to fill tires on vehicles - especially cause you want to check the pressure when they are cold.

Given that the reg is going to be used for a non critical stuff I would not worry about an OP valve. If the first stage has a problem and the IP gets jacked up then the LP hose will burst.

Just stick a short 3/8x24 (SAE fine) bolt with an oring behind it into one of the lP ports and don't tighten it. You can screw it out a little to vent the reg. Who cares if it leaks a tiny bit, actually that would make it self depressurizing........a port plug without an oring snugged down might do too if it does not leak too much. From a flow prespective, if you can't stand a little leaking of the LP side of the reg, there is something wrong. Thinking about it for a little, an overpressure valve is not a bad idea, a run away IP could do some interesting and exciting things to the reg if it can't vent.

Back
Top Bottom