Poor Knights: accessibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thrillhouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to be in Auckland between the 12th and 15th of August and would really like to get a dive in at Poor Knights. The only day I'll be able to do this is the 14th (on which I'm totally free)... Is it feasible to do if staying in Auckland? Also, how much can I expect to pay for a cheap charter? I'm OW certified and will not be travelling with a dive-buddy.

Check out PKdive.co.nz
They are IMHO the best operator that goes to the Knights and they also offer a booking service for other operators too.
You can do the 'Knights from Auckland in a day but its a big day. I allow a 3 hour trip each way. If you havent got a rental car dont even bother trying.

Cost is $125 and you get a great lunch too.

What he said. But if you don't want to take a rental car you could fly or bus to Whangerei the previous evening. Whangerei is 25 minutes drive South of Tutakaka, the jumping off point for Poor Knights and operators ought to be able to tell you of transport options up to Tutuakaka first things in the morning.

Alison

It's just about do-able to get to the Knights and back for a day trip from Auckland - an early start and a long drive, but I do it about every month or so when I get a day off.

In about 3 weeks, I'll know what my teaching schedule is July through November - if I'm off on the 14th August then I could be convinced for a day out if the weather is ok... hopefully by then I'll have either fixed my drysuit or got a new one! You'd be more than welcome to grab a lift if so.

If you're just doing a day trip whilst passing through, I'd look in to Dive! Tutukaka (Dive Poor Knights Islands. Diving Poor Knights Islands and shipwrecks HMNZS Tui and Waikato with Dive! Tutukaka New Zealand. / Dive! Tutukaka, Poor Knights Diving) who cater very well for the visiting diver. Some of the PK Divers afficionados will no doubt jump on me for daring to suggest anything different - but quite frankly D!T are more likely to be going out midweek in winter than any of the other charter companies based in Tutukaka. D!T offer a free guiding service, which is invaluable for anyone not used to the topography and life at the Knights. The Knights for me is all about the encrusting life, and it does take a bit of time to be able to pick out the cool stuff - without a guide, you'll probably miss out on so much.

Whilst the Knights are some of the best diving here (where are you from, by the way?) they're not the be all and end all - have a look at Goat Island Dive (Goat Island Dive, Dive trips, Scuba diving courses, Auckland, New Zealand). They don't have their August trips up yet, but places like Sail Rock, Simpson Rock and the Mokohinau Islands offer diving at least as good as the Knights. The advantage is that they leave from Leigh, which is about an hour from Auckland, not three.

Dive! Tutukaka is the best operator going out to the Poor Knights all year round. They go out everyday that the weather allows, are professional, and well priced. Check out their wesite at www.diving.co.nz Drive time is about 3hrs to Tutukaka from Auckland, so an early start is needed if you are going to do it in one day. If you get to Whangarei the day before Dive! Tutukaka offer a free pick up from town. If you need help organising transport from Auckland, contact Kate through the website.

Hope you have an awesome time out at the Knights. I was out today and the temp was 17 degrees(62f), Viz about 25m(80ft). If you can, do the Knights . The rest of New Zealands diving is good, But the Poor Knights is the best! Good luck, have a blast!

Well Thrillhouse as you can probably tell there is a bit of "who's better, who's best" going on.. I will try and give a bit more of a balanced approach.. (though to be honest with ya i'm not used to it and may come unstuck :) )

If it's your first time to the knights then you won't pick up on any of the differences/pitfalls/whatever between the operators, if you're anything like me when I first dived there then you'll be too busy trying to get your head around everything you've just seen!

The staff are great on any of the two charters mentioned.

It's a quicker ride by about 35-40mins (from memory it may be more) with the Poor knights divers charter. Which may be important when you're trying to cram it in within a day.

Oh and as Packhorse mentioned the free lunches are fantastic.:wink:

Last edited:
Well Thrillhouse as you can probably tell there is a bit of "who's better, who's best" going on.. I will try and give a bit more of a balanced approach.. (though to be honest with ya i'm not used to it and may come unstuck :) )

Are you saying I'm unbalanced, Rob!?!?! I mean, you're right when it comes to mental state, but...... :wink: :wink:

Of the charters running out of Tuts, if you pick a day midweek in winter then most of them will be tucked up at home in front of the fire with a glass of pinot noir (and who can blame them in the supposed winterless-north that is actually freezing).

The thing I love about Tuts is that pretty much every charter has it's own niche - Pacific Hideaway for the weekend liveaboard, Ocean Blue for the luxury small group trips, Yukon for the tech days, PKD for the free lunches.... Norseman, Knight Rider, Bluzone, Adrenalin plus the half a dozen other charters that I've not been out with... and mostly they seem to coexist in harmony and all offer something.

Dive! Tutukaka are reliable - it may be a different story in summer or if you're a group, but if I only had one day, come what may with the weather or other people on board then there is simply no choice. They've got the market penetration that means that there are always enough divers on board for them to run at least one boat, and they have larger boats that can cope with heavier seas than most of the other charters.

I can't blame Packhorse, I mean.... Poor Knights Divers do offer a referral scheme and if he recommends them enough then he gets a free days diving... and I know how tight he is with his money!!!! :laughing:

I can't blame Packhorse, I mean.... Poor Knights Divers do offer a referral scheme and if he recommends them enough then he gets a free days diving...

Actully Andy I have never had a free dive with PK Dive from referals.
I refer them because for me they are the best opperator at Tutukaka, they suport our dive club very well, they let us dive where we want, they offer great lunches, they have one of the fastest newest boats there, and I have become good friends with them.

Yes they do have a referal scheme but they give me such a good deal that I would feel bad claiming on referals.

As for me being tight, well you try bringing up two kids on one income while having an expencieve addiction (diving). Every cent counts.

well you try bringing up two kids on one income while having an expencieve addiction (diving). Every cent counts.

Whilst diving is every bit as expensive as a coke habit it is easier to explain to the Mother in Law...
:D

My apologies, PH, whilst making comments in jest I seem to have struck a nerve - I didn't realise that you were so sensitive.

I refer them because for me they are the best opperator at Tutukaka, they suport our dive club very well, they let us dive where we want, they offer great lunches, they have one of the fastest newest boats there, and I have become good friends with them.

Yes they do have a referal scheme but they give me such a good deal that I would feel bad claiming on referals.

I'm glad that you qualified that they are the best operator "for you", rather than the best operator - which would be a fairly bold statement to make. And you've acknowledged that there is a financial arrangement between you and them, which is useful for people to know when making judgements about which charter to use on the basis of other peoples referrals and recommendations.

PKD do have a fast boat, which makes them one of several options for a quick trip out to the Knights, along with Bluzone. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of either of these boats as a diving platform - Bluzone's boat, Rumblefish, just seems a little anti-social with the way the tank rack splits the boat into two halves. PKD's boat, Shadowfax, is just a little cramped for my liking. NZ Dive claim that their boat can do the journey in 25 minutes, which would make it the fastest boat around - I guess I should get out with them one day to see what it's like as if it is a 25 minute trip then that makes it super easy to do a three dive day, which only a few of the charters offer.

My favourite boats are Arrow, owned by Yukon, and D!T's Bright Arrow. These are fantastic boats to dive off, and really suit both the techie days and the cruisy days. Noel's a fantastic skipper, and always gives you the choice of where to go and keeps a watchful eye on the days events without being intrusive.

I've had some fantastic weekend trips on Pacific Hideaway - as a boat, it could do with a ladder at the back, but other than that is perfect in terms of seaworthiness and being a good diving platform. Mark, Denise and Pete are awesome.... and Mark's lamb shanks are to die for. I've never been out with OceanBlue, but have done some good courses with Janine... and Kevin is a great guy too. Hopefully this winter we'll get to take advantage of one of their four day trips around the Hen and Chicks, Mokohinaus and Poor Knights Islands (provided the skiing doesn't take over too much).

I've not been out with Knight Diver since it changed hands, but should really give them a go to see how much they've changed. I'd like to get out on Norseman as well, the boat is a bit of a legend in it's own right.

I guess when I've done a few more hundred trips and have covered all the charters that I've not used yet, then maybe I might be able to make a better judgement as to which of the charters is my favourite - though at this stage, the jury is still out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom