Pool Session #2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with art.chick - from reading your post, my initial impression was that your ability to stay calm and work through the situation when you fell into the pool bodes well for you. I think that the ability to stay calm and think out a situation is one of the most important abilities to have while diving - just as important whether you're in a 6 foot deep pool or in 100' of ocean (but the pool's more forgiving :wink: )

While I will leave the suggestions on entry technique, weighting and equipment to the other, much more experienced people, it sounds like once you work out these issues, you'll find the rest to fall into place quite easily.

Keep it up and way to go! :)

Hi Chepar:

I'm thinking of my pool sessions as a great opportunity to learn in a controlled environment. I'm much rather risk my life training in 6.5 feet of water than in the open water with a 40 foot bottom. I'm nevious enough as it is.

I've been sucking up as much printed material as I can get my hands on. In fact a book I found in the High School library at the school district where I work was printed in 1976, but mentioned exactly what everybody here and my instructor says. "Remain calm and work through the problem."

I truely believe that remaining calm and solving problems is key to dealing with emergency situations.

I'm a realist though. I know that it is possible for a situation to arise that will truely scare me and cause me to panic, though I hope it never happens.

Thanks for your encouragement everyone. I'm really enjoying my sessions and look forward to my four open water dives. I'll be happy that I'll be wearing a dry suit. The Puget Sound is really going to be cold by the time I finish my pool sessions. I expect that I'll have pool sessions until at least the middle of November.

The goal is to make sure I have mastered all the skills I need to be safe for my open water dives and we will not rush it.

For those who've been through PADI training, how long are/were your pool sessions? Both of mine have been 1 hour 45 minutes a piece or so.

I'm not complaining though. I love the pool sessions and we ended the last pool session at an hour and 45 minutes only because my instructor ran out of air. I had close to 2000 PSI.

By no mean you should shorten your dive experience !! we need all the details !!!

Seriously, this is an excellent way for us beginner to share and compare our Pool experience and Instructors methodology !!!

It really help to keep me on check with my training !

Saturday ...... 3 days and counting ............ !!!

Mine is tomorrow though ! :mean: heheheheh

Imagine, the fun for equipment shopping !!!!!!!!!!! woohoooo gadgets !!! LOVE GADGETS !!!

I am gonna see tomorrow if the Instructor has different setup of BCD. Like to try the different styles before i plunge my money to get my own.

Hi Dxtreme:

As soon as I find a BCD that works for me, I plan to start making payments on it.

I'm really looking forward to buying my scuba gear and plan to buy online for a lot of it except:

1) Mask. I need to make sure it fits. I'm leaning towards Tusa.

2) Fins. Again, I need to make sure they fit.

3) BCD. I hate laying on my back at the bottom of the pool. :)

I haven't decided yet how I'm going to deal with a dry suit. I haven't even tried one on yet. I need to work on my basic skills before I add another piece of equipment that I'll need to know how to use.

Another person going to class tomorrow :(

The only part about session #3 that has me concerned is the 30 foot OOA swim. I'm not a quick swimmer so I'd better get a pump and start working my lungs.

Sorry to hear that you cant walk, but it is so awesome that your diving, and able to swim underwater! I wish you the best of diving! :)

Don't sweat the non-walking thing. It happens to all of us eventually.

I really am enjoying my classes though. What fun.

SSIdiver02 once bubbled...
Sorry to hear that you cant walk, but it is so awesome that your diving, and able to swim underwater! I wish you the best of diving! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom