Pool dives in LM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cvrle1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey,

Seeing how we got the crazy weather I was curious if there were any places that did pool dives in lower mainland over the winter?

Buddy and I wanted to go tomorrow to Whyteclif park, but seeing how we are brand new divers and water will be close to freezing most likely, we will abandon that plan. We were going to go for the free Saturday dive that Ocean Quest has, but they weren't sure if the could find a DM to go or not, and we were not going to test out luck without one in these conditions.

Thanks

It is warmer in the water than out right now.

The Edge has a Sunday dive at 9 am, (North Van) 1 free fill. I can not say for sure this Sunday but they ussually have a scheduled DM whom I know is out pretty much every Sunday.

Hi cvrle1,
I will be diving few times between the Christmas and the New Years Eve. If it works for you, you are welcome to join. Do you have all gear? Wet or dry? If you need to rent, what do you need? You could PM me.

you can ask your dive shop to squeeze you in for pool practice when there's an open water class.
We're doing that on the 25th with my dive shop.

But whytecliff is an easy dive provided you have a compass. The shore is facing north, so just follow north when you're about done and you're fine.
Plus as a new diver you just want to skim the bottom, so hit 60 or whatever your depth is, turn back and follow the bottom to the shore. or just head north :)

It is warmer in the water than out right now.

agreed!

We went just before christmas, i cut my hand during prep, fell a bunch of times, while putting on the suit. I looked retarded.
10' was freezing
80' was warm

very weird

to fear going back to shallower depths. we ended at 80 ft, safety stop sucked and buddy's dry suit hose froze up so he shot to the surface.. very funny.

But whytecliff is an easy dive provided you have a compass. The shore is facing north, so just follow north when you're about done and you're fine.
Plus as a new diver you just want to skim the bottom, so hit 60 or whatever your depth is, turn back and follow the bottom to the shore. or just head north :)

Check your compass, I think it needs reclaibrating, North/south runs diaganally through the bay.

Last edited:
If you're ever really desperate, you can always rent a lane at a local pool... Vancouver Aquatic Centre and the YWCA come to mind. I did that once to work on weighting with a friend and while not cheap, it's great to have the entire lane to yourself -- especially at the Aquatic Centre.

Check your compass, I think it needs reclaibrating, North/south runs diaganally through the bay.

my good friend!

you're probably right!

my nav is being worked on but until i get it. I follow either wall till im about 90-100 then i head back following the wall again.

im a landmark guy and nav is something i really need to work on :( esp. with my plans on instructing one day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom