Pony tank regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlyStrat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm buying a pony tank for diving to 130'.
Water can be in the 40's.
Might be a deco dive sometimes.
How good of a 1st and 2nd stage regulator should be on the pony?
I have a couple options right now: '91 SP Mk10-G250 or '95 Mk20-G200B.
Or do I buy something else?
My primary regulator is a new SP Mk25-G260 with R195 octo.

I would get MK20, its easy to update it to make mk25 which you already have. Are they both DIN? Thats what you would want for a slung pony

They arent DIN.

Mk10s are relatively (compared to MK20/25) rare. Not sure about official part availability but my shop could not get parts for Mk5s. IF you do not do your reg maintenance I would definitely go with MK20, then on the next service check the piston and update it if it's of the older type.

My Mk10 and G250 are updated and serviced.

My Mk10 and G250 are updated and serviced.
Sorry, I realized I might have misunderstood. Do you currently own both ? or you are choosing which set to buy? If you own both then it does not matter, use the one which is beaten up more :) Because they tend to scratch more when slung

MK-2, and a balanced second (156 adjustable). Bullet proof, and rugged as all heck. Much lower cost than others. Works well in cold water, and simple to maintain.

Been using this combo at that depth as well as under the ice...

MK-2, and a balanced second (156 adjustable). Bullet proof, and rugged as all heck. Much lower cost than others. Works well in cold water, and simple to maintain.

Been using this combo at that depth as well as under the ice...
This^^^ and DIN Mk-2 .

Attachments

• 20210910_160241.jpg
    20210910_160241.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 149
The Mark 20 is kind of large compared to the 10 but there is this for the Mark 20:

There are regulators other than Scubapro:

If single tank diving and therefore using a pony for a redundant air supply in lieu of a good buddy or intentionally solo diving, deliberately including the pony in the gas plan (for deco) is possibly not wise.

James

The way pony rigs get banged around, I want as much metal for the second as possible. My old 156 seconds fit that bill nicely. The adjustable also let's you crank it down so you can lessen the chance of leaks, yet dial it up to a nice breather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom