Pony Tamer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iainwilliams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi

I'm looking for a pony attachment for my 20 cu pony (aluminium). My main tanks are either a 120 cu (steel) or 75 cu (aluminium)tank. I am seriously thinking of the PONY TAMER, but it is expensive and I want to get some feedback before I part with the clams!

I've read the forum and it appeasr that the best brackets are either the quick draw bracket or the pony tamer.

Does anybody use a PONY TAMER that can provide some solid operational experience??

I want a attachment that keeps the pony rock solid on my main tank - not loose and wobbly like many are! Anybody with first hand experience in using this system?? Thanks in advance. Iain

Iain

I use the pony tamer and it works great. My pony is nice and secure with no wobbles. Changing tanks between dives is very easy too. Just make sure to keep the post greased and it should do everything you are looking for.

Ty

Or you could rig it as a stage.

Which is cheaper.
Easier to manipulte.
More streamlined.
Easier to hand off.
Can be diched.
Reg is more identifiable, especialy to other people.

I've been using the Pony Tamer for several years and love it. My wife bought it for me for my birthday and I'd have to say it's the best gift she's ever gotten me. :) It's just so much easyer to use then other pony bottle brackets and makes switching tanks after the first dive a snap. It's well worth the money.

Scott

Hey, Iain!

I referred your question to Pearce aka : "He Who Carries the Pony, eh?!" (A little Canuck humour.) :wink:

His usual setup: Dive Rite back inflation BC with Transpac Wings, Mares Abyss Reg with Axis Octo and drysuit whip, Dacor 92 AL tank, Plony Tamer mounted on one of the back straps of his BC, a little to his right. Sometimes we leave the harness empty; other times we use a 13 cu ft pony bottle.

The pony usually has whatever spare reg we have handy on it: USD, Mares, Sherwood... yes, we have more gear than G-d!

Since he mounts the Pony on his right, the hose & 2nd stage for it are routed under his right arm parallel to his octo. And the 2nd stage for the pony hangs just above his octo. This presents 2 regs to an out of air diver in the recommended "triangle".

Meanwhile, if he is wearing his drysuit, the whip (low pressure inflator hose) for it is routed on his left to the inflator on the left side of his chest.

I don't think it makes any difference, but Pearce happens to be left-handed.

BTW, Pearce has finally admitted that perhaps he has been a bit brutal when cinching up the cams for the pony tamer and that is why he has had two fail on him. Since he is 6'4", 325 pounds & used to play semi-professional football, I think I can safely say he often doesn't know his own strength. But he's great to have around if you need a jar opened! :terminat:

In summary, he says he loves the PT and wouldn't dive without it now.

Hope this helped!

TTFN,

~SubMariner~

Beast and I started with a Pony Tamer and replaced it with a Tiger Mount from Tiger Gear. We found it to be more stable than the PT. Changing takes is very simple, easy and fast.

Different strokes....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom