Pony Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imwright1985

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Have been diving with AL80's but went to HP120's and got a 30cf pony bottle with the Zeagle Razor Envoy Reg. 2 questions:

Was wondering the best way to mount the pony bottle so i can remove in water easily ( we have a closed transom boat and are stuck passing gear over gunnel from in the water so want to keep light) I spearfish so want it out of the way too.

what weight difference would i be looking at by adding the pony and a 3mm full

Re-posted from http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/372271-pony-redundant-set-up-2.html .

At least PADI and NAUI teach that there is a place for a redundant air supply (i.e., a pony) in diving, especially with deep dives. The choice is really up to you.

Personally, I like the idea of a redundant air supply but at this stage in my diving I am not into doubles. I therefore opt for a pony on some dives. Dives on which I believe that a pony is reasonable are: deep, cold, solo, or any combination thereof. I may well have missed something.

There was an excellent link at: Rock Bottom and Gas Management for Recreational Divers | Spherical Chicken which shows that, if you want to go deeper but within recreational limits, a 19 is a good size, and 13 is a tad too small.

The best advice that I can offer is that, if you choose to dive with a pony, practice deploying it and stowing it regularly. Since a pony has a small capacity it will run down quickly. I top mine off from my main tanks with a device such as this: Tank to Tank Equalizer With Gauge discounts on sale IST.

I find that surface-swimming face-down with one mounted on your back is a pain. You might consider a stage/deco straps such as those indicated in Stage/Deco Straps and Hose Retainers by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express rather than a mounting bracket.

I sling mine like this: DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging. The only objection that I have heard to slinging a bottle is that it might get in the way if you are lobster hunting. I would stress that, if you dive with a pony, deploy it regularly so that it is second nature.

I prefer to sling my pony for the following reasons:

1. I can put the pony on or take it off in seconds - no tools, no hassle. I suppose that I could "hand it off" to someone underwater, but I don't think that this will realistically be necessary;
2. I can always see my pony tank and the reg. I can see if my reg is free-flowing, or if there appears to be a leak from the O-ring. If it snags on something, I can see what it snagged and fix the situation;
3. My basic gear configuration is unchanged - I use a primary and a bungee'd octo/secondary necklace. The pony reg is bungee'd to the pony bottle, far from my other two regs, and therefore will not be confused with them; and
4. I can consult the pressure gauge on my pony - this gauge is obviously connected to the pony and therefore will not be confused with my main tank pressure.

As a final note, many tech divers will pressurize their stage bottle then turn the valve off to prevent inadvertent gas loss during a dive. Perhaps one day I will do this, but so far, my pony is pressurized and the valve stays open during the dive. This might not be great if I had to rely on that gas for a deco obligation, but I believe that I am likely to see a leak in the pony and I don't do deco dives.

Safe diving.

I would sling it . Do a search in the DIY section ther is a how to make your oun . I did mine that way under $10:0O
Crush has some good in fo there . this is the one I used to make my sling http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/stagebottle_rigging.html

If my back is good enough for my main tank, it's good enough for my pony. I use a Pony Tamer and hook it up next to my HP120.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom