Pony Bracket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paperdesk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone seen a pony bottle bracket like the one pictured? I got it with some other equipment, and don't have any instructions. When I install the brackets on my tanks the tanks no longer fit through the BCD cam bands without major adjustment. Any suggestions?

Ted

QD setup is nicely made and performs well but as you've seen, it takes some adjusting to go with pony to without pony. I had thought about going this route but ended up slinging the 19cf bottle rather than mounting. Slung as a stage, you have the gauge and reg at your chest d-ring and can monitor both at a glance. Not sure what size pony you have but with the 19cf, it rides well and only adds about a 1 lb which isn't noticeable on the trim. I don't even notice it is there once under water. Anything smaller isn't conducive to slinging (and IMHO questionable for a minimum bail-out size) so I'd mount or sleeve those. Again, my opinion, but if it were me, I'd sell and rig it as a slung tank.

I agree with @snowdog61. When I first started carrying a pony, having it mounted on the tank messed up my trim and caused me to want to roll to one side. By slinging it, the center of gravity is much lower and you trim out better, plus it's easier access to your bottle.

... Not sure what size pony you have but with the 19cf, it rides well and only adds about a 1 lb which isn't noticeable on the trim. I don't even notice it is there once under water. Anything smaller isn't conducive to slinging (and IMHO questionable for a minimum bail-out size) so I'd mount or sleeve those. ...

In the past I slung a 13cf and now have 2 6cf (different configurations) which I sling. They work quite well slung. Don't have a clue why you think a bottle has to be 19cf or bigger to be slung. Are you hung up on slinging it as sidemount?

Also, your comment "questionable for a minimum bail-out size" is questionable. Personally, I have made safe ascents from 130' on the 13cf with a safty stop. Most of my dives are 30'-50' so the 6cf is plenty including a safety stop. Size needed depends entirely on depth, composure, SAC, and other factors. To think that the size you need is applicable in all cases is not correct.

Has anyone seen a pony bottle bracket like the one pictured? I got it with some other equipment, and don't have any instructions. When I install the brackets on my tanks the tanks no longer fit through the BCD cam bands without major adjustment. Any suggestions?

Ted

They have those at my LDS. I think it is a Pirhana "pony tamer": Super Pony Tamer Pony Bottle Mount The pirhana page has a photo of the setup installed, including a closeup shot.

If you have a bcd where the cam bands cannot be replaced, you will have to mount the tank side of the pony tamer low enough on the main tank that it won't interfere. if your cam bands can be replaced then get bands with a "quick release" buckle that comes apart. The latter type of bands are much easier to attach and remove from tanks anyway imo. I didn't get mine from that site, but they're very similar to what I've got - judging by the photo.

In the past I slung a 13cf and now have 2 6cf (different configurations) which I sling. They work quite well slung. Don't have a clue why you think a bottle has to be 19cf or bigger to be slung. Are you hung up on slinging it as sidemount?

Also, your comment "questionable for a minimum bail-out size" is questionable. Personally, I have made safe ascents from 130' on the 13cf with a safty stop. Most of my dives are 30'-50' so the 6cf is plenty including a safety stop. Size needed depends entirely on depth, composure, SAC, and other factors. To think that the size you need is applicable in all cases is not correct.

Yes, I sling it side mount from chest to hip d-rings - hung up on it? don't thinks so but it is streamline and trims well. 19cf was the minimum length that I found to work well for ME - didn't say everybody. 13 cf was too short as was a 6 cf which is why I said sleeve or back mount those. AFA minimum size, I'm not doubting you can get to the surface on a 13 or maybe even a 6 from 130'. For ME, I wanted some extra margin to sort things out on the bottom rather than immediately aborting if something went awry which is why I said IMHO. Opinions are like assholes - everyone has one.

"To think that the size you need is applicable in all cases is not correct." I didn't say that, advocate it or even think it - that is all your opinion. For the recreational spearfishing I do solo, the slung 19 fit the bill for reserve, sizing and my SAC rate. No, I don't think it's the one pony to rule them all - that's just ridiculous. I didn't want to purchase and have to maintain multiple sizes and configurations. I wanted 1 and done. YMMV

There have been plenty of threads on the pony/bailout sizing which is a reason I was even hesitant to reply on sizing

Last edited:
Thank you all for the help and comments. I have a 19cf pony. Considering other options for the future, but for right now I'm working on trying out what I have without buying more gear.

Kelemvor, that link is just what I was looking for. I'll see if I can make it work for me, but since I have double cam bands, I kind of doubt it. If it doesn't work, I will probably try slinging. So far I haven't really liked the way the pony feels on my back, but I'll give it a few more dives before I throw in the towel with back mount.

I never tried the back mount - most tank racks dont play well with a tank mounted pony on the sharter boats I use. It was much easier for ME to just clip/unclip and stuff it under the seat

All due respect - you said "Anything smaller isn't conducive to slinging (and IMHO questionable for a minimum bail-out size)"

Perhaps I came on too strong - sorry, my apologies. But re. slinging, here's my rig with a 13cf (6cf done the same way). The length of the clip-ons can be lengthened/shortened (as you are making it) to fit the BC/harness you use.
upload_2017-5-5_9-33-59.png

Back
Top Bottom