Pony Bottle Mounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ADeadlierSnake

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, so im not sure where this question belongs, so hopefully this forum works. Here goes:

So lately ive been hanging out at my LDS, talking to the owner, and getting all sorts of neat tips and tricks from him. I had been interested in getting a pony bottle, so we talked about different mounts and whatnot. Today I went to the shop, to get a pony bottle and the straps that i needed to attach it to the side of my tank. However the owner was not there to show me how to set it up and attach it to my BC. And the person working the counter didnt know. But i bought the pony (19 cu. ft. btw) and the straps anyways because i saw it as an opportunity to figure it out by myself (not gonna dive it until i know how obviously). Well, i failed. Sort of. I figured out how to attach the pony to my tank with the straps, but how does this all attach to the BC? Do i have to remove the tank strap from the back plate and replace it with one of the two straps that came in the package? I cant find it anywhere online, probably because its self explanatory and im just missing something. Any help is appreciated.

207158_10150153259073279_833118278_6411304_7223819_n.jpg

What i have so far ^

Does the bc have 2 straps or one? Why did you put the pony on the wrong side? Why did you mount it upside down? How are you gonna route your hoses?

Well i dont know much about pony bottle mounting, but every picture ive seen of pony bottles, it has been mounted on the diver's left side. As for it being upside down, thats what people have recommended doing (on this website, and irl). I assume the hose goes under the left arm and clips to the bcd. although i havent asked the dive shop owner (or anyone else) yet, because i dont plan on diving with it for another month at least. Oh, and i got it mounted just fine now, thanks to the folks in scuba chat.

@JCAT: I plan on trying that too. I am still a pretty new diver (although ambitious), so im making a point to try out as many different things as i can to figure out what works for me. This just happens to be the first setup im trying

I use a 13 cu ft mounted right side up, my mounting strap has a plastic spacer that separates it from my main tank thus giving space to fit my BC.

The SPG for the pony is clipped to the lower part of my BC on the LHS and the second stage which is on a 7 ft hose, is bungeed to the pony so I can easily reach back and release it when required.

I will post a photo shortly.

I just got, well, the same tank you did. I have dove with it mounted like that except using gear clamps, and I have also made a sling for it (cost me $8). I am going to do a few dives with both and If the issue is not resolved my then I will post my results. Would show you a pic but the tank is at home and I am at school).

+1 on slinging it

I have always mounted a bail out bottle upside down so I could reach the valve to turn it on. I do not have it on at the start of a dive so air can not leak out of it unnoticed during the dive and end up being empty when I need it. I use a button gauge so I know the tank is full but not a SPG or BC hose, just a single hose to the second stage. The reason for that is if I ever had to go to the bail out the dive is over anyway. You can manually add air to the BC if needed and then vent on your way up. I would put it on whatever side it is easiest for you to reach.

+1 on slinging the cylinder. Major issue with the 19 cu ft tank is growth. Not a lot of future use in a 19.

mk706 is right a 19 CF tank will never be more than a bail out bottle.....

But I still think is works great in that role......small but still a decent amount of gas....

Good news is that you can use the reg & SPG for your 80 CF stage when and if you go that route......

Plus easy to sling and dive with.....M

Back
Top Bottom