Pompano Beach recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guamgirl

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

We're visiting Pampano Beach from Rhode Island December 22-30, and I'm SOOOO excited about diving again after three years. I am AOW and Nitrox certified, and I've got two friends traveling with me who are OW Certified, but they haven't dove in more years than me. I got certified in Guam and logged a little more than 100 dives during two years there. High visibility, minimal currents, 82 degrees. While in Pampano, we want to dive really great "local" spots that aren't overrun by tourist boats, but where we'll see stuff, and we want to dive on a relatively small boat (not more than 20-22 people, but preferably 15ish). Any recommendations?

Also, what shops are the best for a great time and great service. Right now we're set up for a refresher thing with Force-E, but I get the feeling their boats mostly go to big tourist spots.

Thanks so much!

Cheers,
Cindy Sabato

Hi Cindy -

Glad you can get back to diving! Go here ...

Florida Conch Divers - ScubaBoard

... for a ton of info on Florida diving. There are some specific threads that talk about dive sites near Pompano.

Enjoy your trip!

"Google" Fort Lauderdale scuba. There are a bunch of operators around Ft Laud and Pompano and many places to stay. Why 15 divers? Go for six in a small boat. You'll alll probably have to do a dive with an instructor or DM to qualify to dive after the length of time you've not dove.

Hi all,

We're visiting Pampano Beach from Rhode Island December 22-30, and I'm SOOOO excited about diving again after three years. I am AOW and Nitrox certified, and I've got two friends traveling with me who are OW Certified, but they haven't dove in more years than me. I got certified in Guam and logged a little more than 100 dives during two years there. High visibility, minimal currents, 82 degrees. While in Pampano, we want to dive really great "local" spots that aren't overrun by tourist boats, but where we'll see stuff, and we want to dive on a relatively small boat (not more than 20-22 people, but preferably 15ish). Any recommendations?

Also, what shops are the best for a great time and great service. Right now we're set up for a refresher thing with Force-E, but I get the feeling their boats mostly go to big tourist spots.

Thanks so much!

Cheers,
Cindy Sabato

Force-E is a good shop. The one one Pompano will probably set you up with Parrot Island Scuba which is a good op. The one in Boca i think uses the Diveristy which is another good op.

If you want to travel 20 minutes north to Boyton, go to Underwater Explorers. The reefs are nicer and Kevin will take care if you. Worth the 20 minute drive IMHO.

I always dive Dixie Divers when I do pompano. They're boat just got remodeled but it's usually got more than 15 on a busy day, which isnt a problem because it's a spacious boat. They run a great shop/boat.

If you want to travel 20 minutes north to Boyton, go to Underwater Explorers. The reefs are nicer and Kevin will take care if you. Worth the 20 minute drive IMHO.

DING DING DING!

PS - his boat is quite large, but he runs it as a six-pack.

Thanks to all who offered Pompano Beach dive suggestions. I wound up doing a refresher mini-course with Eric at Force-E - including a shore dive at Blue Heron Bridge, which was fabulous. Then did a three-tank boat dive with Kevin at Underwater Explorers up in Boynton Beach. The reef there was beautiful - an expected nice surprise after doing all my previous diving in Guam. Kevin's boat wasn't as big as I'd expected from earlier posts, but it wasn't small or under-equipped either, and we had only three other divers plus Kevin so it was a perfect little group of all experienced divers. So... a great time! Thanks again for the suggestions. Cheers, Cindy

Back
Top Bottom