Police divers in the news

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BladesRobinson

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
FLORIDA / LAT 27°39.133' / LON 080°22.261' / ICW M
Children critical after car plunges into the Avon at Evesham
10:48am Thursday 11th February 2010
By Lauren Rogers

TWO children are in a critical condition after a car plunged into an icy river in Worcestershire.

Emergency services were called shortly before 9.30am today after the vehicle was seen in the Avon at Evesham at Boat Lane.

A man and a six-year-old boy managed to get out of the car but police divers brought the five-year-old girl out around two hours later.

An ambulance spokesman said both children are critical in hospital.

Police have confirmed that a man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder in connection with the incident.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: “When crews arrived, the man and a young boy were already out of the vehicle.

“The boy’s condition was stabilised before he was airlifted to Birmingham Children’s Hospital in a critical condition.

“The man was taken by ambulance to the Alexandra Hospital in Redditch; his condition is not believed to be too serious.

“A young girl was pulled from the submerged vehicle around two hours later by police divers. Ambulance staff immediately started resuscitation attempts and she too was airlifted to Birmingham Children’s Hospital.

“This was an extremely difficult incident for the staff from all three emergency services. Their close co-operation has ensured everything that could possibly be done, has been.”

Superintendent Garry Higgins, of South Worcestershire Division of West Mercia Police, said: "This was obviously a very traumatic incident our officers are been left very shaken by events.

"An investigation into the incident in now ongoing and we would also like to hear from anyone who was in the area around the river at Boat Lane this morning before 9.20am.”

Anyone with information should call police on 0300 3333000.

UPDATE:

"Five-year-old Gabrielle "Gabby" Grady, who was trapped in the car, was later pulled from the water by Avon and Somerset Constabulary’s dive team.

She fought for her life for three days before she sadly died at Birmingham Children’s Hospital on Sunday (14)."

MORE AT: Officers praised for bravery in river rescue (From Evesham Journal)

Thanks for the update Blades, always sad to hear....

"Police have confirmed that a man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder in connection with the incident."

Huh:idk: There is obviuosly more to the story than just accidentally driving into a river. Anyone know?????

I received this from an associate in the UK this evening...

As discussed, the enquiry has been prompted by the drowning induced fatality relating to Gabriell Grady (5) in the incident at the Boat Road Evesham last Thursday 11th Feb.2010 and which is now subject to a criminal investigation of murder.

From the info I have obtained , I can report the following to the best of my knowledge.

The water temperature at the scene was between 4 and 5 degrees Centigrade (39 -41 dgs F) and she was submersed in excess of two hours ( time of incident {0915 +/- 5mins}+ police reaction time+ call for assistance to other dive units {0930hrs} + arrival time {97mins reportedly}+actual rescue to surface from 12 ft of water {12 minutes}+ resuscitation time {unknown} approx 124 minutes.

This child was airlifted to Birmingham Hospital where she survived in a critical condition for 3 days before sadly losing the fight to survive further.

It is my understanding from news reports that this may have been an attempted murder/suicide but I may be off base in my assumption. If so, my apologies to the family for guessing incorrectly. If I learn more I will pass it along.

Back
Top Bottom