Police Diver Drowns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the position you (wolf eel) are coming from, as do many others on this board. I also know that it is not from a position of malice or disrespect, rather it is from a point of view of an informed diver who expects all other divers to be just as informed.

Unfortunately that is not always the case, as was the situation that lead to this tragedy. Let me put it this way, and hopefully it will aid in understanding the mindset of some divers that we come across. For many divers in the world, their primary contact with diving, the rules of diving, and the practices common to diving, is through the media, magazines, and the dive shop they chose to train them for diving. The lines we draw that govern our actions are primarily derived from the coaching we have received by very responsible and safety conscious instructors and seasoned divers. We have been fortunate to have had this exposure, as it very likely has saved us from harm in the past and will continue to do so in the future. Not all divers have had this opportunity to be exposed to this knowledge. This may in part be due to their unwillingness to learn and a feeling that all they need to know they can learn on their own, or they live in a remote area that is not serviced by multiple dive centers and exposure to highly experienced and qualified divers is not probable. Add to that the possibility that the dive center in this remote are merely fails to reinforce those safety concepts and sound dive practices we now take for granted, because they simply forget to do so due to complacency or even laziness. The last possibility is that the dive center knowingly chooses to ignore safe and sound diving practices, and the students follow along because they have no other source of reference.

We are truly fortunate that the Internet and Scuba Board exists today. At least it provides a portal for less experienced divers to be exposed to knowledge and opinions that they may never have had a chance in the past. I’ll qualify that by adding that not all of what is written as advice is in agreement with what I feel to be safe and sound diving practices, and when I see it I do respond. However in most cases my disagreement is more philosophical than operational, and they tend not to concern safety as much as they do style.

The victim of this tragic story had two things going against him. A remote area serviced by only one shop and not enough experienced divers to bounce ideas and concerns too, and a shop owner who consistently showed he did not follow safe and sound diving practices. This combination proved fatal in the end.

[pt40fathoms The victim of this tragic story had two things going against him. A remote area serviced by only one shop and not enough experienced divers to bounce ideas and concerns too, and a shop owner who consistently showed he did not follow safe and sound diving practices. This combination proved fatal in the end.]

I do understand where you are coming from. We have a dive shop just like that one!!!.
The problem we have is the Capt of the Coast Guard likes the guys girl friend and will not see what has happened and when the club made a move he USED is power of office to convice everybody that all was well. He himself is the reason we as a diving community have issue. In the last 6 months I have had 5 clients have near death problems with equipment they had rented. I myself had a lung infection for four months. We had a fatality where the novice was instructed to TIE his weight belt to him when they tried to get him off the bottom they could not because his weight belt was tied all over the place. His wife watched him die. Very sad to say the least but. I acted and was shut down by this Capt. He is going to retire soon and is going to USE what they build. He has no concern what so ever for others. He uses the cutter to arrage dive groups what happens when the cutter is needed to aid some boat thats sinking? I have no respect for this person at all.

Cheers
Derek

That's when you document what you can and call the RCMP. A nice video of a civilian dive from a CCG cutter, sent to them and a few media outlets, will likely have him out on his ear.

[Groundhog246 That's when you document what you can and call the RCMP. A nice video of a civilian dive from a CCG cutter, sent to them and a few media outlets, will likely have him out on his ear.]

They could care less. They see it all the time. It's really just the dive shop and everything that has happened to people in and around the shop ask anybody who knows the area and they will have loads to say about it. Its like a scary movie but real !!

They did a resort style dive off a boat with non certs to Texada in current at 60' with out 02 onboard and so on. Um I think thats not so cool. You could drift right on into a Ferry lane !
[I need to clarify. The part about they could care less is not about the RCMP they are busy where I live and in the scheme of things that would not be high on the list of concerns. As they have not been made aware of the troubles. Not a cut at all !!]

pt40fathoms:
The police Officer who died was not trained in salvage or commercial diving of any kind. He was in fact a student of Sunset Diving, and was only helping out the owner with this salvage, as was the "safety" diver, who at the time was a recently certified OW diver. This was an example of a "trust me" dive, where the victim trusted to owner of the shop to handle logistics. This was not the first time this has happened, only the first time someone has died.

I could list several examples of violations of training standards as well as standards of practice. To be blunt, every dive operation in this area was not surprised by the accident, given what we all know about this shop owner. Several complaints to training agencies and local authorities over the years, had resulted in simple wrist slapping at best. We did what we could to the extent of the law, but in the end a good man still died.

At least now he is permanently out of business, and can hurt no one else.

For someone who live in Kenora and has dive with Dave a number of time I'm shocked and diheart to hear the comments you have. I would not want to have anyone else by my side while diveing thenm Dave. Sunset Diving has not been shut down and you should be very asshamed and get you fact's right before you make a comment.

Here in sitka we have a dive shop that teaches O.W. here and my g/f took his coarse last year...Boy took her diving she had so many issues I could not beleave it .. I had to hold on to her the hole dive help her inflate her suit and showed her how to dump air the best way... Then started talking about the open water cert....There were many skills he didnt even go through....They would get in the water and do a few skills just sitting on the water and get out.. Her hair didnt even get wet.. Then he would call that a dive.... They go up to the truck and grab another full tank when they still have like 2000lbs in there tank.... Go do a few more skills and get out.... No little dive to check things out of any kind..... Then the next day two more dives like that and u r ready to dive on your own... I have seen so many divers come out of there that dont know what they r doing... Just wondering if this is whats its like now to get cert and if so young divers are going to die....Somebody should look into this before some 1 gets killed.....

Sitka_diver, if this instructor is offering PADI Open Water certificates you should contact the PADI Quality Management department of PADI Americas (t&e@padi.com or +1 949 858 7234 ext. 2540) with full details. I know from experience that PADI International have been very proactive in dealing with reports against malpractice in their centres. I can only assume PADI Americas would be the same. Hopefully by weeding unscrupulous divers out one by one, we can make it safer for everyone involved.

Muffin:
For someone who live in Kenora and has dive with Dave a number of time I'm shocked and diheart to hear the comments you have. I would not want to have anyone else by my side while diveing thenm Dave. Sunset Diving has not been shut down and you should be very asshamed and get you fact's right before you make a comment.

I agree with you "muffin" and your comments are well deserved. Unfortunately the media, as well as those who think they know what really happened have had a tendency to twist the story in hopes of discrediting a dive operation that has had a great and positive impact on Kenora and it's diving community. It's unfortunate that this tragic event claimed the life of a young diver, however there were more circumstances that transpired and have never been revealed to the local press....however resultilng in the unfortuante finger-pointing of the dive store owner/instructor. From my understanding, the fine did not relate to the acutal death of the diver, but the licensing of the operation that took place.

After reading all the comments made on this forum, I'm sorry to learn that it was the authors belief that Fraser's unfortunate and fatal event was "expected" by other dive businesses in the local areas....as I know for a fact this comment should not paint all owners/operators with the same brush but perhaps the author's personal view and opinions only.

There are owners/operators who are faced daily with life-threatening situations and should the result be fatal....professional divers support one another in sympathy when something as tragic as this happens. I don't believe any diving professional intents to run a "shaddy" operation and endangering the life of any of it's divers.
As professional divers while training students or out for a pleasure dive understand that diving is a sport that is not controlled by the leader and sometimes students or friends encounter difficulties that are uncontrollable by the person in charge.
So there's no need to point fingers or bring up negative comments about anyone or any dive operation. I've yet to find the "perfect" dive operation that has experienced any problems that were life threatening but were fortunate enough to have a successful end which unfortunately did not happen in Kenora or to Sunset Diving.

Fraser runs a good operation and I'm happy to hear that he's back in business and serving the community. He has a lot of support from those who have been certiifed and dove with him for many years. From my understanding, he's been accussed of false stories and has managed to overcome these accusations and maintaing his business based on his credible reputation.

Too few people realise just how difficult this tragic event effected him personally. He lost a close friend in an operation that was mutually agreed upon and has had to suffer the consequency by staying neutral and suffering the pain within himself.

It's time to put an end to this forum and start a new forum with good news and all the great diving events to be experienced in the Kenora area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom