Poles, Trays, Straps, Lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnybravo0311

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone,

I got a GoPro Hero 5 last year prior to my trip to Grand Cayman. I also got the super suit, red and magenta filters and the strap mount. I used the setup throughout my dives and found it to be pretty decent, but noticed a few things I'd like to improve.

The first is how I had the camera mounted. I found that the best mounting point with the options I had was strapping it to my wrist. That seemed to provide the most stability, kept it out of the way of vented bubbles and left my hands free. The problem is that the "most stable" option was still pretty shaky. Of course, it was the first time I'd ever used a GoPro in any fashion (underwater or not) so perhaps it's just a learning curve and I'll get better with time.

The second area I could improve is with lighting. There were a number of times throughout my dives where there simply wasn't enough ambient light for the camera.

I've been trying to come up with a decent solution, but with the myriad choices available, it's a daunting task :)

I could go for something like the Sidekick Duo with Dive Arm, and just leave the GoPro mounted to my wrist. Or, I could go for something like the Sea Dragon 650 Micro flood kit. Maybe I up my game and get the single 2500 or go even further and get the dual 2500s... or any other tray/lighting combination.

So... does anyone have tips and suggestions? What do you use in your own underwater GoPro adventures?

Thanks in advance!

That's an interesting thought. I was under the impression that a pole would have stability issues in multiple axes. You'd have to compensate for left/right, up/down and roll. Since the camera is at the end of a stick, movements of your hands would be exaggerated. I've never used a selfie stick in any fashion, so my theory could be completely off base :)

As for filters and lighting, wouldn't it be dependent upon the subject distance from the camera? Lights are only going to penetrate so far in the water. Again, I'm very much a novice in the world of videography/photography. Does it make more sense to leave the filter on, even with the lights and color correct things in software? Or perhaps do the opposite and leave the filter off, color correcting by adding reds in post production software if necessary?

Discussion of video editing is a bit off topic, but is definitely something I'm interested in learning. For example, is color correction just a series of experiments until you happen to be satisfied with the outcome? Or is there some more scientific way to determine what the "true" colors should be? In other words, do I just add/remove colors until I personally like the end results, or is there a formula for getting there?

DIY tray. 4x DRIS Impact lights with video head. Too many cameras (GoPro 3D & two sets of Kodak SP360 4K's):

Profile-pic_zpsajcyev88.jpg

Over the last year of learning to shoot and edit video I have found the best platform for shooting video is to use a tray with two lights. Placing the camera (I use a GoPro type camera) on a pole, mask, or hand will pick up all the movement of my body which makes the video jerky. The pole does come in handy when ice diving or diving from a boat because you can dip the camera into the water without actually getting in.

Another great platform to use is a tripod. It is good for a small dive area where you simply place the tripod on the bottom and leave it there.

@3D diver that's a far more involved setup than I'm considering. I wouldn't even know where to begin :p

@shurite7 with the GoPro type camera, you mention using a tray with two lights. Any recommendations? For example, I like the Sea Dragon stuff because of the simplicity of its modular design. When you dive with a rig like that, are you always holding it in your hands, or do you clip it off / secure it to your BC for when you want/need your hands free?

Any comments on post production or use of filters vs software correction?

Thanks again!

The tray that I have been using is Intova's double base tray with two short flex arms.
Base Tray Double - Intova

When videoing I have the camera tray in my hands, or on rarer cases a tripod sitting on something. If I need to use my hands I have a double ended clip that attaches to a D-ring on my BCD and a small line looped to the tray.

There are many different opinions when it comes to lights. If you ask several people what they think is "best" you'll get multiple negative comments to each persons set up and one positive comment for each set up. I went with what I could afford and obtain easily.

I just switched from using Sony's Studio 13 Platinum to Apple's Final Cut X. I don't have anyone around to learn from so I am learning the hard and long way how to edit videos. The books for each editing platform are a good starting point. I spend a lot of time viewing youtube tutorials. I haven't dived in salt water since '08, so all my filming has been in fresh water mountain lakes, rivers, or a missile silo. I don't use filters with my cameras or on my lights. I tried the magenta filter, but it wasn't all that great. The two main factors that effect my filming are particles floating in the water, creating bad viz, and sunlight (more like lack of it).

@3D diver that's a far more involved setup than I'm considering. I wouldn't even know where to begin :p

Fair comment, LOL.

But it began with a simple 18" length of aluminum bar stock and a couple of Nikonos strobe arms. (First put it together in the '80s for my Nikonos V cameras.) If I were starting from scratch I'd suggest using LocLine to hold two lights---two 1000 Lumen lights is sufficient.

The point is, this can be done with fairly simple tools---hacksaw, drill, etc.

There are a lot of DIY tray threads (including mine) for you to browse.

I had terrible luck with a wrist mount. Stability and alignment were issues. If you want to get good stability a tray is best. I have been using the one in this video for night dives and also for some video shooting in the day. I also use a head mount for spearfishing (because it does not get in the way) but you sacrifice stability and aiming and alignment precision.

This a video I made showing using the MAKO modular tray and light system. the "sand spikes" are cool in that you can set the camera down. No matter how good you are, having the video camera motionless and fixed will improve the video quality.

Here is a link to the tray system, the 890 wide angle light really do a great job and are not that expensive.

Two Handle Camera Tray | MAKO Spearguns

Thanks @dumpsterDiver ! I was looking for similar products, but this kit seems to do a good job, especially with the stand/sandspike option and at an affordable price.
Will keep looking around a bit before clicking the "buy" button :)

Do you have any feedback about the quality of the lights provided with the kit? Battery life, light temperature, adjustable power?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom