Polar Diving Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cr.padlo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning on joining a couple of polar expeditions (Arctic and Southern Oceans) in the next couple of years. Since polar waters can be sub zero (29-34F/-2-1C), what regulators are recommended? Ive been recommended to look into the Apeks MTX line. I will be setting this rregulator style up for use with an H-valve/Doubles configuration as that seems to be the style many dive ops use for expeditions.

Has anyone gone on a polar expedition? What regulators have you used in these conditions, and how did they perform?

No experience, but the Mares Abyss Navy (or the 28XR first stage with either the Abyss or XR DR second) should work well. The seconds and the first stage in the Abyss have a long history of successful cold water operation. Both first stages come with factory cold water kits installed.

I am planning on joining a couple of polar expeditions (Arctic and Southern Oceans) in the next couple of years. Since polar waters can be sub zero (29-34F/-2-1C), what regulators are recommended? Ive been recommended to look into the Apeks MTX line. I will be setting this rregulator style up for use with an H-valve/Doubles configuration as that seems to be the style many dive ops use for expeditions.

Has anyone gone on a polar expedition? What regulators have you used in these conditions, and how did they perform?
We had a dozen or so divers on an Antarctic peninsula trip about 12 years ago. Good fun. People were using various regs (Oceanic, Sherwood, etc), and I don't remember any freeze-up problems. Most of us were experienced ice divers, so I'm sure that helped....no heavy breathing on the reg before dropping in! I was using DiveRite regs, with the IP set fairly low....don't remember where exactly.
upload_2020-4-26_16-30-43.png

upload_2020-4-26_16-31-16.png

There's a certain pedagogical value in doing the research and going to the sources.

That's a short list

- Interspiro Divator Mk 2 Mk 20 (full face mask)
- Poseidon Xstream Deep Mk 3
- Mares Abyss 22 Navy II

Good choices, all . . .

I'd also include the Poseidon Cyklon, Jetstream, and the Atmosphere FFM -- all of which have performed well in freezing and sub-freezing conditions, over the years.

A friend reminded me, a while back, that, during an old Cousteau program on the Antarctic, they were using Cyklons and Poseidon Unisuits with, laughably, Aqualung patches tacked on them . . .

I was surprised a few years ago to read that my Oceanic reg was approved by NOAA for cold water dives. I think it may simply be due to them being environmentally sealed which would seem to mean any similarly sealed reg might work.
The NOAA report was from several years ago.

We had a dozen or so divers on an Antarctic peninsula trip about 12 years ago. Good fun. People were using various regs (Oceanic, Sherwood, etc), and I don't remember any freeze-up problems. Most of us were experienced ice divers, so I'm sure that helped....no heavy breathing on the reg before dropping in! I was using DiveRite regs, with the IP set fairly low....don't remember where exactly.
View attachment 582876

View attachment 582877

Cool photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom