Poison ocelot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
On our recent trip to Dumaguete, we saw a medium sized, light colored octopus that the guide called something that sounded like "Poison ocelot". I've tried various spellings and can't find anything about an animal going by this common name. Can someone help me?

994482_10204758790150472_8654196829871186629_n.jpg

It is called the poison ocellate octopus, Amphioctopus siamensis (used to be called Octopus mototi I think). Ocellate from lat. ocellus, small eye, for the blue 'eye spot'.

It is called the poison ocellate octopus, Amphioctopus siamensis (used to be called Octopus mototi I think). Ocellate from lat. ocellus, small eye, for the blue 'eye spot'.

Thanks for this information. I used it to gather the following sources:
Amphioctopus siamensis
Poison Ocellate Octopuses, Amphioctopus siamensis ~ MarineBio.org

The first source includes first aid advice for those who handle it. I was present and saw the same specimen as the OP, and I don't recall getting any warnings about it.
:D

You guys are lucky. In about 100 dives in Sulawesi and 500 dives around Mabul/Borneo, I have never seen one.

And they are harmless unless you try to handle them.

You guys are lucky. In about 100 dives in Sulawesi and 500 dives around Mabul/Borneo, I have never seen one.

And they are harmless unless you try to handle them.

Harmless? You should have seen this guy!

He was all posturing and puffing up and charging at Peter Guy like he was going to make mincemeat of him!

Of course, the Ocellate was the size of a teacup, and was hanging out in a vodka bottle, so the display was more amusing than frightening. :D

Peter Guy in position for a picture:

10636523_975811602434295_7940946982796037000_o.jpg

Zoom - he is so cute!

1978555_975816775767111_6183010034426740042_o.jpg

Despite all the stories of the intelligence of the octopus, I have to wonder about an animal that hangs out with Grey Goose when perfectly good brands can be had for half the price.

Nothing worse than a poisonous octopus drunk on vodka.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom