Point & Shoot? Thoughts On The Canon Powershot D30?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khsjsilver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am really a Point & Shoot guy. I just like to take pictures on my dives. I've rarely ever changed the setting on my camera from "auto" with the "underwater" setting. The most I ever do is post a few pics or videos on my Facebook page.

I have been using a Canon S80 with the Canon housing for a lot of years and have been very happy with it. Unfortunately, the camera finally died. In getting a new setup, I would like to upgrade, but I'm really not looking to get into a big rig. I don't really want to lug around strobes even though I know they would probably improve my shots.

Has anyone really used the D30 for diving? Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken

I guess that fact that I received no responses from anyone is giving me my answer. I guess I will go in a different direction. Not sure what that is, but I will continue to research. I've always been a Canon guy, but the Olympus TG-4 seems to be the hot point & shoot right now.

Any other suggestions, I am all ears.

I've heard good things about the Canon S90, As well the Canon G16 is a favourite for many people and something you could keep for a long time and potentially add lights or strobes in the future if you wanted. I used a Sony Rx100 but I think that might be in another category than you are looking for.

I would definitely go with the Olympus TG-4. If you ever want to get more serious you will have a lot of good options - e.g. a housing, strobe, wet lenses, etc.

Scott

I have used the D30 on several occations with good results. Stills only never used the video function. Lost the camera unfortunatly in a kayak incident. I loved it as it fitted into my BC pocket and using the menu settings I had no issues. Took it down to 34m at occation. Seriously thinking to buy one again, replaced it with a sealife unit that I still need to come to grips with, the little D30 was user friendly, quick focus and easy to operate. Will post some pictures later if you want.

I have a Canon S110 that I love and get wonderful pictures ( I think) with it. it died on a Philippines trip earlier this year , so because I had just got a new housing I bought a very good secondhand S110 on eBay. This has been fab and I'm so pleased. I have seen the results of newer canon models and they are even better , so if you like Canon's go for it , tiny very humble opinion.

I actually began reading this post because I was curious myself. I want to get into the photo life of the sea world. The cameras can be expensive and want to get it right to the best of my ability the first try. I'm using a gopro hero 4 silver with some mods on it, but not going to get the quality I want lol. Using a dive house with a switchblade lense on it (red lens/10 magnificationlens lens). it's cool and portable, but I'm sure there is way better.

As promised some pictures taken with the D30
1st one at 12m
F3.9
1/250
ISO-200
Focal length - 5mm

2nd at 26m
F4.5
1/125
ISO-800
Focal length - 11mm

3rd at 31m
F3.9
1/250
ISO-350
Focal length - 8mm

As promised some pictures taken with the D30
1st one at 12m
F3.9
1/250
ISO-200
Focal length - 5mm

2nd at 26m
F4.5
1/125
ISO-800
Focal length - 11mm

3rd at 31m
F3.9
1/250
ISO-350
Focal length - 8mm
love that 1st one... what are those? tomato clowns? What kind of anemone? Bubble tip maybe?

Yes tomato clown, but the anemone is the "magnificent sea anemone", Heteractis magnifica is also known as the Ritteri anemone. Picture was taken in the Maldives.

Back
Top Bottom