Point Lobos Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewpy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
To all you No Cal divers who have not been there -MAKE A RESERVATION!!!! This place is great!

This was to be my first dive in the Monterey area, so I rented a suit(two piece f john) and a few steel 95s on Friday and off we went early Sun morn. Beautiful day with the sun trying to make an appearance, not to windy or cold.A very close by parking lot with picnic benches,bathrooms.fresh water to rinse your gear etc NICE.
Be sure to bring a tarp to lay down to change/gear up etc-parking lot is very sandy.
The diving-I was a little nervous/apprehensive and felt like the Michelin man and a tad claustrophobic with all the unfamiliar gear
and added weight(35lbs!ahh)hood etc. but all is ok -easy acces via a small boat ramp-after a short swim out, I told my buddy I wanted to just rest for a moment or two and gather my thoughts/calm down etc - he understood and after a short reveiw of our dive plan down we went to about 20-25ft and a nice sandy bottom.Vis was quite good (20-30ft)as we made our way along the reef out towards the channel.Anxiety was gone and I felt quite good except for a little trim issue(head down)but no worries ,and was actually quite toasty warm!
Nice reef! Saw many sanddabs and seastars along the sand channel and tons of life on the reef-rockfish,lingcod,cabezone a wolfeel etc. After about 20mins of leisurely poking around we made our way along the bottom all the way back to the ramp.
Great first cold dive! I was impressed!
Second dive was more of the same and very enjoyable-if this is what other Monterey dives are like then Im hooked!
The kelp was a little dense in places and was told by the ranger that winter diving is actually better bc the storms tend to clear out a lot of the excess kelp but it really wasnt an issue-just had to look up before sufaceing

Overall a great day and a nice intro to Ca diving,and a big thanks to my buddy Saul for his patience,help and assurance!
NICE! five *****!:)

Drewpy once bubbled...
To all you No Cal divers who have not been there -MAKE A RESERVATION!!!! This place is great!

Sshhhhh! Now it will be even harder to get in.:upset:

I have a reservation for July 5.

Can't wait!

Just out of curiousity, is there a place to get an airfill anywhere nearby (obviously, I don't want to go back to Breakwater for a fill....)? Or should I bring a second tank?

--Sean

Sean-no fills nearby-bring a second tank!

Right Sean,

The closest places to get air is Aquarius and Breakwater. It's a great park with a lot to see. It's nice for non-divers as well.

Drewpy once bubbled...
Sean-no fills nearby-bring a second tank!

I was at Monestary recently and thought that might be the case....

I appreciate both folks who responded... :)

Many thanks!

Sean

Back
Top Bottom