Point Lobos report 8-18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RalphJr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We made two dives Friday at Point Lobos. Surface temp 64F slight NE breeze mostly high fog. Water temp 57F @ 50FT, vis out of the cove 25-30 inside the cove 10-12. There is a lot of kelp on the surface so we had to decend closer in than I would have liked limiting our range somewhat. You really do not want to have to do the krawl to get back in here. We went mostly West from the entry and followed the rock wall structure out past a large white sponge growth not quite to a land mark called hole in the wall. Down to about 35 feet the water was loaded with Krill. Large Sea Lions were basking on the rocks above and I saw a huge Ling Cod in 50 fwd at 5 + feet in length with a 16 inch diameter head - really prehistoric looking. There is so much to see here and I am really poor at remembering all of the names of the flora and sea life that I observed so I will not even attempt a listing. We did our second dive in shallow water hopeing to see some Leopard Sharks. We have been told that they come into the cove this time of year to calve. No Luck on that. The water was green with an alge bloom and the water was loaded with strands of white material - looked like sperm? I took the camera out on the second dive so here is a couple of pics. This place rocks!

Nice report Ralph, and welcome to ScubaBoard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom