Point Atkinson - Lighthouse park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wetsuit 4 life

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to plan a dive to Point Atkinson lighthouse, last time we ended up in Star-boat Cove(?) and found only bottles and a pain in the ass hike, not the amazing marine life we were told weÃÅ find.

So my question is has anyone else tried this dive and where is the dive site in relation to the lighthouse? Is it just off the rocks to the right or left of the lighthouse?

Thanks

I think the best place to dive would be to the left of the lighthouse (if you were standing on shore facing the water). There's a path that leads from the parking area to some cabins (I don't know if they're still there). Then there's a shorter, steeper trail down the rocks to the beach. It's a long hike from the parking area. I've never done it with scuba, but I used to snorkel there all the time. It's one of the few places in the Vancouver area where I've seen bull kelp.

I just looked at a chart, and yeah, Starboat Cove is mostly flat and shallow. The area where I would dive is between Starboat Cove and the lighthouse. There, the chart shows it drops off very quickly to over 150 feet deep.

I have not dove here yet as I hear it is quit the hike, but I think I might have to go explore it. Wetsuit4life, I am off work all next week Nov 23-28 if you want to come along.

And thanks swankenstein for the report.

no hike at all if you have a boat :p

Cheater :wink:

Back
Top Bottom