Pocket Snorkel Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GRH

Contributor
Reaction score
This thread is an interesting read and I don’t want to debate it here but am interested in pocket snorkel recommendations.

Should I wear a snorkel or not

I am transitioning to a long hose and have a drysuit on order with pockets and am looking for a foldable snorkel to store in a pocket if ever needed. We have some local shore dives that can require a bit of a surface swim and while I rarely used a snorkel even before moving to a long hose, like the option if needed. I use a BC and have drysuit gloves if that matters and often carry a pro size DSLR housing with a pair of strobes and a focus light.

A search for pocket snorkels’ brings up 6 results, the most recent started in 2009.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/search/56562198/?q=pocket+snorkel&o=date&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=31

One reply suggested the Oceanic Pocket Snorkel and I like the idea of the Velcro if that would allow me to easily remove the snorkel from my drysuit pocket and secure it to a strap if I have a long surface swim in choppy water. The same reply mentioned the Tusa Platina II Hyperdry that is not marketed as a foldable snorkel but apparently can be folded and stored in a pocket. Not sure how or if I could secure it to the mask strap, would just holding it in my mouth be sufficient?

I'd like to understand the process of how easy it is to deploy the snorkel when starting the dive, storing it, and again deploying it after surfacing. While holding a camera that could complicate things, or not, and I always have a dive buddy that could hold my camera for a minute if needed. Again, I may never use it but like the option if ever needed.

Thank you.

I dont atach the snorkel to my mask. I just put it under the strap.

I got the mares one, but i think thos doenst matter a lot.. They are all similar.

I use my one only when i dive for my DM training. Because its required... And i hate snorkels, the flappy pocket snorkel is not annoying me so much :D

If i dive on my own its in the pocket. Only used it once in the ocean. Its ok. I can breath it and its very easy to clear, because it a simple setup.

I recommend it

For the process of packing it:
Its hard to put them back in their pocket, especially once they are wet.
I just put them in my wetsuit pocket without the container thing.

I've been using a Cressi Corsica flexible snorkel for years. It fits easily in my drysuit or pockets shorts pocket and snaps back into shape afterwards. When I'm snorkeling, it works great. It's a simple freediving J-tube.

I like the fact that it latches onto itself to stay rolled, and does not need a separate holder

Not seeing that.

Not seeing that.
There are two small holes in the top splashguard (you can see one on the left side of the guard in the picture) that when the snorkel is rolled up they hook onto two small "horns" that are on the back side of where the keeper clip attaches. So it will stay rolled up as shown in the inset picture.
51m9wNvR5AL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

I go through air quicker than my petite wife, so I always used a snorkel on the surface until we were ready to descend. As we're not really in choppy waters and that amount of time is usually < 5 minutes I've stopped doing that. I also moved to a primary donate set up and noticed that the snorkel was a potential snagging hazard, but felt that it was still a good idea to have a snorkel with me. So I went with a similar snorkel to the one above, I bought the Aqua Lung Nautilus Foldable Travel. A little more expensive, but in the grand scheme of equipment costs it was minimal!!

Aqua Lung Nautilus Foldable Travel Snorkel

There are two small holes in the top splashguard (you can see one on the left side of the guard in the picture) that when the snorkel is rolled up they hook onto two small "horns" that are on the back side of where the keeper clip attaches. So it will stay rolled up as shown in the inset picture.
View attachment 634373
I have this one as well. Very functional.

Back
Top Bottom