png- where to go??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

panz

New
Reaction score
Hi there,

My fiance and I have decided to go to PNG on Mike Ball for a week in the next 4-6 months. There is a trip to Kimbe bay in June or Milne Bay in September.

Any suggestions as to which is better? We prefer the bigger stuff.

Thanks!

panz:
Hi there,

My fiance and I have decided to go to PNG on Mike Ball for a week in the next 4-6 months. There is a trip to Kimbe bay in June or Milne Bay in September.

Any suggestions as to which is better? We prefer the bigger stuff.

Thanks!

Hello panz, only a week? You must live nearby. I would try a longer trip as you will be more likely to spend time farther out from the mainland. There is big stuff in both places. In both cases, you will usually have better luck farther out from the mainland. In Kimbe, I swam with a pod of Pilot, Melon headed whales and some big Pacific Blue Dolphins-apparently an unusual aggregation-returning from one of the sites at the farthest edge of the Walindi day boats. Out in the Witus, Grey reef sharks are very common. You may also see some at the seamounts in Kimbe Bay.

As for Milne Bay, anywhwere there are seamounts, you will have the best chance of seeing bigger stuff. And the farther out the better. However, there are some very steep drop offs near to shore. I have seen Hamerheads on 2 different trips in the same exact spot, very near shore in about 40ft. Also some very big Giant Trevally. Both times early in the morning. I think it was just beyond the place called Hanging Gardens(?). It's in the Lonely Planet guide and it mentions the HHs. I have actually seen more and a greater variety of big stuff in MB-Mantas, Hammers, Grey Reefs, Silver Tips, and even a very big Sand Tiger. This coupled with all the mucky critters is pretty hard to beat. But Kimbe is great too. There seem to be more whale sightinngs there. You can't go too wrong, either way. If you can, try to find out which trip has the Capt with the most time in that place. Good local knowledge is the key. Good luck -Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom