PNG-Milne or Kimbe? Boat or land? or Komodo boat /Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irenedabanian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay: this is tough but moderate budget concerns make me ask: which place is better for the first trip to PNG on a moderate budget?
Kimbe-Walindi/Febrina (do the liveaboard-suggestions or the land based?) for 10 days or Tawali/The Chertan on Milne Bay-boat or land based?
Have yet to do a liveaboard. Does one get tired of the boat rocking? You cannot really walk around between dives on a boat...
Or
Dive Komodo on a boat (suggest which one for modest budget) and throw in some Bali land based-total ten days of diving.

Loved Uepi in Solomons (upscale) and Dophin Bay in Fiji (budget). Need a moderate priced destination this July.
Want to stay in the coral triangle area.
Advanced diver.

I have been to Walindi and on board Febrina. I'd recommend either one, I did the 10 day Febrina and the diving was a great mix of walls, reefs to muck diving. You can't go wrong land or liveaboard.

Hi Irene,

Unless you're heavy into muck diving, the best diving in the potential locations you've mentioned, and arguably among the world's 3 best diving locations, is Komodo. For a modest budget, check out the Lalunia --> Lalunia Dive Liveaboard Komodo National Park - Nomad Divers Lalunia - Lalunia Boutique Liveboard Scuba Diving in Komodo Islands INDONESIA | komodocruise.com

Don't worry about a liveaboard--after diving 4-5 dives day, you won't be interested in "walking around." Water tends to be calm there and the rocking typically is no big deal.

Have a blast.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Tough to choose as both are great choices. I'd give a slight nod to Bali/Komodo because it should be cheaper, has easier accessability for a trip, and because since you're going in July you should be able to catch the start of mola mola season as well as the other great diving (Tulamben, etc.) that Bali has to offer. One thing to keep in mind about Komodo is the diving can be challenging...not just strong currents but also up/down currents.

As to PNG, I've never been to Walindi, although I know many people who have. I have been to Milne Bay and Tawali twice. Contrary to what another poster mentioned, it is not all muck diving...although it is the birthplace of "muck" there are only a couple of sites that are strictly muck sites. With that said, macro there is world class...but there is also plenty of awesome reef and wall diving. One thing you may want to consider for PNG if you went to Milne Bay...and you decided you really didn't really want to take your first liveaboard, is that it's not a destination where you have to, like you essentially do for Komodo...you can get to a wide variety of dive sites by just stay land based

We went to Tawali November 2010 and all diving was wall or reef diving, only did one muck dive and that was out the front of the resort looking for a specific angler fish.

The house reef there is great, Mandarin Fish being one of the highlights.

Some of the other places you mentioned could well be better, but I doubt you would be disappointed with Tawali

For me, Kimbe Bay is as good as Komodo though very different--and not really a macro spot either. But PNG is always expensive. Flights alone add 20% to the cost of a trip. Komodo is easier and cheaper to get to with a broader range of options once you're there

I've spent a LOT of time in PNG on different boats/resorts. I HIGHLY recommend FeBrina and capt. Raabe. Alan Raabe has forgotten more about PNG diving than most people will ever know. He has been instrumental in putting down most of the permanent moorings in Kimbe, thereby saving many dive areas from anchor damage. A great operation.

Doc, Kimbe has very little muck unlike your statement. It is mostly reef and bommies. If you are lucky, you can get to the Witu Islands and dive Garove Island. Some really good muck there.

My favorite north shore itenerary of new Britain Island is Kimbe/Witu/Fathers reefs. If you DO like muck, you might want to consider the time of year that Alan works the south shore of new Britain.

I am a great believer in liveaboards in PNG. The distances are just too great to be resort based. It limits you way too much. Walindi is nice, but you spend too much time going to and from the reefs every day. And, the best reefs are just too far.

Back
Top Bottom