Pneumothorax question - lung over expansion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, autocorrect pulled a few nasties in that post, tried editing it but couldnt :)

Should read more like this:

Hi guys I am on holiday, and am using a mobile device to post this thread, so I apologise in advance if this exact question has already been answered previously. It is not too easy to go through all the posts on this device but I have tried looking.
As mentioned I am currently on a diving holiday, on my last dive the sea conditions were pretty rough above and below water. I would like to ask the more experienced users out there if I could possiibly have pneumothorax, or did I just hurt myself climbing back into the boat. I have a small amount of pain on my left breast around my nipple about 1-2 inches in diameter.
It hurts to the touch, as if I had taken a jab to the ribs, and only hurts in the intercostal muscles inbetween my ribs. It does not hurt when I breath in unless I fill my lungs to max capacity, then it obviously hurts in the affected area.

My last dive there was lots of surge and about 4-5m swells on the surface, i never breath hold, but I do always breath long slow breaths in and out to try and keep my air consumption down. I never hold my breath, but I do use my lungs to go up and down rather than swimming up or down. (I am worried I filled my lungs to go up to avoid hitting the reef and went up too quick) I am not sure if I hurt myself climbing back into the rib in the rough sea, or if I somehow managed to over expand my lung accidentally by rising too fast in the surge.
There was no immediate pain, and I have no difficulty breathing, and I am not tired, well not more so than usual. It's just the sharp pain in the small area of my ribs that concerns me. I have not dived for the last three days due to rough seas (one of the boats flipped front first yesterday while it was out at sea) but I do feel like continuing diving tomorrow or the next day.

I am in Africa, pretty far from civilisation or a doctor (200km) and still have a week left on my dive trip so don't feel like cutting it short and heading back.

From all your experience, is there a way to tell if it is over expansion, or just a jab in the ribs or a pulled muscle? It is not terribly sore at all, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for advice from people that have more experience than I do before I go back out to dive and do some serious damage. I don't mind giving any additional info it will help. I would rather be slightly paranoid instead of doing something stupid.

I appreciate your help and time!

Hi

From the sound of it, it's unlikely you've had a pneumothorax. You say yourself you hit your chest area while climbing back up. also, it is tender over that small area you described. Musculoskeletal pain (as what it most likely is, meaning just injury to the ribs and muscles) can be made worse by breathing.

Things to look out for in pneumothorax- shortness of breath, pain even on normal breathing, and deviation of neck air pipe to the other side if it's really bad. For medically trained, one can also check for equal air entry both lungs (best with stethoscope, but theoretically, can also try placing the ear against the back and listen). There is also percussion, the same way a person can check if a barrel of wine is empty or full. In pneumothorax, it'll sound "resonant"- more empty.

That said, you are still taking a risk when listening to this advice! The best test is still an xray!

Unfortunately, there is no way anyone on the internet can determine whether you have a pneumothorax or not.

Signs that would be suggestive would be chest discomfort and possibly dry cough; increasing pain with inspiration; a feeling of bubbles under the skin of the affected side; decreased breath sounds on the affected side (someone can listen with their ear to your chest), or a hyperresonant (ripe watermelon) sound on percussion of the affected side. Shortness of breath often accompanies pneumothorax, but not always.

From the description of your symptoms, I agree that chest wall injury is more likely, but if you think there is ANY possibility of a pneumo, you should not dive. This is one problem that can be converted by diving from something simple, from which you will recover, to something that, in the absence of immediate attention from a properly trained professional, is unsalvageable and lethal.

Thanks for the feedback guys, Iv decided to rather take the long drive to the hospital and get it checked out properly tomorrow. One of the staff here as a bad ear infection and she also needs to go to the Doctor to get it sorted out so I offered to give her a lift too.

I am unsure if I pulled it climbing into the boat, or if I inhaled, went up and got caught by a large swell... either way. I think its best to rather drive and go see a proffesional instead of ignoring it, diving another 8 or 10 dives and end up in hospital with something more serious that could have been avoided. Best case scenario, I spend a couple of hundred bucks and can carry on diving for the week. Worst case, I spend a couple hundred bucks and then spend the rest of the holidayy sitting on the beach relaxing instead of diving. Not terrible options I guess --- better than getting rushed to hospital in an emergency and have to spend some time in the pot .... or worse.. :)

Thanks for your feedback!

Hi Linky
I think you made the right choice by deciding to go get checked out, especially if you are planning more dives. From what I have read on your location, "Rushing" you to medical care is not exactly an option. I do know that all depending on your location in Africa, you could be waiting a while for medical attention, regardless how sick you are. Make a nice day trip out of it and return to your dives with piece of mind. Oh, and since I'm nosy, let us know what they find. Good luck

Hi Linky
I think you made the right choice by deciding to go get checked out, especially if you are planning more dives. From what I have read on your location, "Rushing" you to medical care is not exactly an option. I do know that all depending on your location in Africa, you could be waiting a while for medical attention, regardless how sick you are. Make a nice day trip out of it and return to your dives with piece of mind. Oh, and since I'm nosy, let us know what they find. Good luck
+ 1. .

I suspect it will all prove to be fine, but I'm awfully glad you are getting an evaluation. Please come back and let us know how it went!

Hi guys

I just got back from the hospital was a nice 8 hour trip... Radiology dept was lots of fun since they only have 1 radiologist for the whole area :p

Went to go see the Casualty Dr and he had a good look, took a chest XRay to be certain, and fortunately I seem to have done a bit of damage to the cartilage holding my ribs together... which is great news because he says I am fit to dive, even though it hurts when I breath :)

He also agreed that I made the right choice by going to see him instead of just continuing to dive and assuming that I will be OK. My main concern was that I did not recall how I hurt myself, or what could have happened, and since it "happened while diving" that it would be best to assume the worst and have it checked out professionally. At least I now have total peace of mind that I can carry on diving for the rest of the week and not be worried about hurting myself underwater and ruining all the other divers day in the process. I can guarantee you though that all my dives to come will be done even more cautiously than what I normally do while on holiday, will probably even leave the camera behind for the first 2 dives to make sure.

Thanks for all your feedback, I still learnt something though.. never take chances, if you not sure or have doubt... rather go speak to a pro instead of being a hero.

Here are two of my favourite fish that I managed to take pics of on my last dive (havnt had any time to edit them)
http://i.imgur.com/TAa7P.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Pf9Jf.jpg

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom