Pls suggest lightweight tropical BC to replace Zeagle Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aceswerling2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently returned from a trip to Hawaii where I shore dove with the Zeagle Ranger I've had since 1998. Clearly, I've loved this BC for a while as it served me very well when I dove off my own boat in the Florida Keys and as I dragged it around the Caribbean and Pacific. I replaced its 44# bladder for a 24# bladder years ago to keep the size under control, especially since I didn't need that much lift with the tropical diving I do.

The Ranger is very comfortable, fits well, and is generally bulletproof. It's like a hug when I put it on and it feels like it becomes part of my body. Those characteristics motivated me to change from my Seatec Manta that used to be the hotness in the late 80s.

But during this Hawaii trip, I started to see some of the Ranger's drawbacks. It's really big and this BC takes up most of the room in my large travel dive bag, motivating me to consider replacing it. That's especially true since I'm no longer living in the Keys and all my diving involves airplanes. I've got an old Seaquest jacket-style travel BC that's nicely made and plenty light but doesn't have integrated weights, isn't very comfortable, and isn't all that stable across my back.

To that end, I'd appreciate suggestions for BCs options that are more streamlined but otherwise similar to my Ranger, especially around comfort. I've looked stuff like the Scubapro Litehawk, Oceanic Biolite, AL Rogue & Dimension, Subgear Levo, Hollis LTS, and various BP/W setups. I haven't been considering other Zeagle options because they all look bulky like the Ranger with not enough difference to make it worth a change.

My impression is that fully custom BP/W setups are the new hotness, and I understand the benefits, but those nylon straps and metal plate don't look very comfortable. In fact, they look about the same as the old Parkway Cayman I used in the mid-80s. Am I wrong on this?

Many of the other BCs look somewhat like my Seaquest with sacrificed comfort, stability, and robustness. Some of them look like they're not fully engineered. I got that feeling with the Litehawk and Biolite. The Oceanic Jetpack looks like an interesting concept but appears discontinued based on mixed customer feedback. The AL Rogue and Hollis LTS appear to be reasonable options as they look more comfortable than the others.

What do you all think? Where would you point me based on your collective experience?

Thanks in advance...

Have a look at the Xdeep Ghost deluxe version. Very comfortable and light. Would be great for traveling.

I have about 300 dives on the Ghost. Fantastic BPW.

If you want integrated weights, hugging stability, and maximum lightness for travel vacations without a backpack wing combination, then you could rent a bc from wherever you are diving and carry small pouches to trim it out with weight around the upper tank band or around the shoulder straps as needed. Your regulator and the rest of the stuff would be your own.

I have seen divers using "travelling bc" packed in a heavy suit case to save weight! Never ever have anything broken or stolen from my soft pack(1kg) over last 25yrs. Soft pack is dirt cheap and draw no attention from any "sticky fingers". I have never travelled with more than 15kg in rec diving trip.

Is BP/W uncomfortable? Same as back-inflated bc and a lot better than "standard" jacket. There is nothing to adjust if using a simple harness. As I do not use a lot of weight in tropical water so weight belt is more than adequate.

Aluminum BP and a 19 lb wing. I dive it in board shorts and a rash guard. Really comfortable. Less is more

Thanks very much for your suggestions everybody. I hear you're telling me to try a BP/W and not simply dismiss its comfort based on how they look. I'll definitely try some on and see how they feel.

The Ghost looks like an interesting option, especially with all the padding I'm likely to want. I'll work to figure out how to try one on. The closest dealer is 300 miles away.

Any thoughts on the Hollis LTS?

Any thoughts on the Hollis LTS?
Padding? Are you going to do a lot of walking with the full kit on your back? It serves no purpose once under water because the wing will lift the weight away from the body. DIY couple of tubular pads(old wet suit material) for the shoulder strap is far more useful.

DGX Custom - DGX Gears Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package
Out of stock.

DGX Gears Small Utility - Trim Weight Pocket
$20.00 a pair.

$369.00 total.

Compact IP Gauge (PSI and BAR)
$10.00 to monitor the IP of your reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom