pleazzzzzzzzzzzz help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

junior diver

Reaction score
want to make a simple back up light for an ordinary flashlight any what a 14 year old couold make

You can BUY a backup light like the UK Q-40 from ScubaToys.com for $12 right now. There has also been a thread that pointed out an ordinary flashlight available from Home Depot or such that worked fine as a dive light. See what the search feature turns up.

-Rob

yeh but i want to MAKE it as a) a backup light here in england costs about £50 ($85) b) almost anything needed (i expect) i've already got c) i like making stuff and d) even if they were like £8 ($12) here in england i'm broke and my parents don't like me diving tho they don't object

It seems to me like the vast commercial availability of such products has kept anyone from trying to make their own, at least since the early days of diving. In the books I've read, most early divers didn't make their own lights, but rather one or two early divers did and made a business out of it.

Id suggest drawing up a few designs of your own and scrutinizing them thoroughly before trying to make anything. Remember, you'll need a good watertight seal and you should try to keep the air space to a minimum. I might also suggest testing the light (during the day!) by dropping it on a weighted line. In Sheck Exley's book Caverns Measureless to Man, he describes being knocked nearly unconscious by the concussion of his primary light imploding under pressure.

There is always the 3-layers of ziplock bags.
Or, if you're diving in freshwater, you don't even need to waterproof. Lights work just fine when they're flooded, just be sure to take everything apart & dry completely afterwards.
Years ago Radio Shack had these 99¢ flashlights that took 5 - 6 D cells. Heck of a deal, a disposable light. (they came complete with batteries)

ziplock bags??????? what are these???? and i'd probably only be using in day, or if at night only if my light failed

ziplock bags??????? what are these???? and i'd probably only be using in day, or if at night only if my light failed, and my backup, which nether of which would be mine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom