Please Pray for U. of South Carolina Family

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

langforg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I would respectfully like to ask anyone, who would like to, please keep the families and friends of those lost in the tragic fire this weekend in your thoughts and prayers. I can't imagine how hard this must be on their families. I currently attend USC and the outpouring of support has been spectacular. It is greatly appreciated. I am saddened to report that two of the students were classmates of mine here in Columbia. It doesn't seem real that their gone. Just like that. In an instant. It could have just as easily been me as I recently took a similar trip to the beach. My only condolence is that they died while enjoying life and were surrounded by their closest friends at the end.

Sorry for my rambling.
Brad

I am very sorry to hear about your loss, Brad. I will certainly keep their families and friends (including you) in my thoughts and prayers. :(

Thanks for the concern. I don't know... I'm not really an emotional person but this really hit me hard. I wasn't particularly close to any of the individuals but I still feel a connection with them. My biggest concern is the pain their families must be going through. I can't imagine somebody calling my parents to let them know I was dead. Makes me tear up thinking about it.

Keeping family, friends, and those effected in my thoughts.

Thanks for the concern. I don't know... I'm not really an emotional person but this really hit me hard. I wasn't particularly close to any of the individuals but I still feel a connection with them. My biggest concern is the pain their families must be going through. I can't imagine somebody calling my parents to let them know I was dead. Makes me tear up thinking about it.

That's called being human. You should never feel bad or apologize for being human.

My heartfelt condolences.

My sister says four of them from her hometown in Greenville. One was from Clemson, yes?

Yes, I think they were all from the upstate of South Carolina. I believe that they grew up together. There were a total of 13 students in the house. Six survivors managed to escape the fire (one by jumping from a third story window). This left seven dead. Six students from the University of South Carolina and one from Clemson University.

Do the authorities know yet what started the fire?

It started on the back deck of the house and quickly engulfed the first and second floors. I don't believe they know the exact cause of the fire. An outdoor fireplace on the deck was ruled out b/c the survivors said it hadn't been used. I believe the group was out on the deck most of the evening and my guess is that a stray cigarette or something like that caused the fire on the deck. We are in an extreme drought here so I'm sure the wood was very dry.

Back
Top Bottom