Please help, Olympus SP-560UZ or Canon G10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No More Bubbles

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, in a real dilemma. Olympus SP-560UZ or Canon G10. I have used an Sp350 for a few years now with great results, but after my second flooding now am wanting to change. There seems to be plenty of information for each and they both sound great which is why I’m in such a dilemma. If there was a housing for the SP-590 UZ i would go for that, but unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be any manufacturer producing a housing for that model.

Pleeeease help.......

Some differences between the two are:
1. With the G10 you have more limited on-board strobe use versus the SP-560. With the Canon housing you have to back away from macro subjects because the housing lens tunnel obstructs the strobe if you get close. With an Ike housing you have to use an external strobe. If you are using an external strobe then it doesn't matter.
2. The SP560 Oly housing is larger than the G10 Canon housing.
3. The SP560 has 18X zoom which is of no use underwater but comes in handy for land use versus 5X on the G10.
4. The SP560 has a 27mm lens and the Canon a 28mm. So both have a wide angle lens to some degree.
5. The Sp560 is 8 megapixels and the G10 is 14.7. I value the higher megapixel for cropping purposes.

Both are quality cameras.

My preference was the G10.

Any thoughts about the single O-ring. I had the SP-350 and was very happy with the photo's but 2nd flooding has pushed me over the edge. I know the SP-560 housing has 2 O-rings but must admit the G10 camera is looking better overall?

if one of the buckles come off, two o-rings wont prevent a flood. my sp-550 flooded when a buckle came off. i replaced it with a sp-560 and still use the same housing. while i am happy with my set-up, i agree with the points gilligan raised about the bulky sp-560 housing and the higher megapixel of the G10.

With the Canon housing you have to back away from macro subjects because the housing lens tunnel obstructs the strobe if you get close. With an Ike housing you have to use an external strobe.
My preference was the G10.

Ike housing has same internal strobe performance as the Canon's. Neither can be used close up for macro due to lens shadow, but backing up/zooming in and using the diffuser will help this.

After looking over the SP's specs, I too would prefer the G10. "Guess that's why I bought it"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom